Auto Conversion Engines

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

NCPilot

Auto Conversion Engines

Post by NCPilot »

I know that when it comes to certified aircraft engines, like Lycoming, Continental, etc. you can do basic maintenance yourself such as oil change, spark plug replacement etc. However, when it comes to more detail work or overhuals, you either has to send it to the company or have an A&P do the major works.

What is the rules concerning overhauls and major engine works when it comes to auto-conversion engines? Can I do the major work and Overhauls myself, or do those still need to be done by an A&P or the company that sells the engine?
jaak

Post by jaak »

If the aircraft is experimental amateur built, you can do almost anything you want yourself.

You still have to follow the operating limitations which are given by the FAA when the airworthiness certificate was issued.
drseti

Re: Auto Conversion Engines

Post by drseti »

NCPilot wrote:I know that when it comes to certified aircraft engines, like Lycoming, Continental, etc. you can do basic maintenance yourself
For certified aircraft, the FARs allow for the owner/operator to perform specified items of preventive maintenance, but only if he or she has a Private Pilot license or above (Sport Pilots are excluded). The specific tasks permitted are listed explicitly in FAR Part 43, Appendix A. Anything not specifically listed must be performed by an A&P.
What is the rules concerning overhauls and major engine works when it comes to auto-conversion engines?
As a rule, auto engine conversions are used in aircraft that have a Special Airworthiness Certificate, typically in the Experimental-Amateur Built (E-AB) category. With E-AB, the rules are far more lenient than they are for certified aircraft (or even for LSAs). Pretty much anything goes, and mods and maintenance can be performed by a trained monkey (that's you! :wink: ) However, only the original builder can get a Repairman's Certificate to do the annual condition inspection. Otherwise, the annual must be signed off by an A&P. (The "owner/operator" privileges for preventive maintenance, as specified in Part 43 Appendix A, do not apply to experimentals.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US