ATTN CTSW,CTLS OWNERS!!!

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Tad Olmsted

ATTN CTSW,CTLS OWNERS!!!

Post by Tad Olmsted »

During a 100 hr inspection of a CTLS I found the horizontal stabilator to be loose and moved front to aft. I grabbed the outboard edge of the horz stab to check for security and found excessive play. I checked the torque and it was right on the money, so I started my investigation.

The problem wasnt the stab itself, but rather the steel bracket that holds it on. The 2 bolts fit very snuggly in the stab as designed, but with the stab on the bench I checked the steel bracket with the bolts and came to the conclusion.

I happened to have 2 other CT's in my shop. One was a SW and the other was a LS. The SW was fine, but the LS had the same play as well. This meant 2 out of the 3 CT's in my shop for MX had excessive play in the horz stab.

As luck would have it, Daniel from Germany was in Sebring and we came up with a mod for the steel pivot bracket that holds the horz stab on the A/C. There is only one other CT that has had this problem ( 3 total worldwide), but I want all CT owners and MX stations to be aware and recommend checking this area. I have the LOA for the mod and can forward any info to anyone who might need it.
Tad Olmsted
Director of Maintenence
2073 US HWY 92 KGIF
863-446-3001 cell
[email protected]
AP 3352190 IA, Rotax Heavy Certified

DEPENDABILITY... the certainty of proper performance of duty
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Tad, good job with the inspection and good on 'ya for posting this info on the forums. I'm sure you'll be posting something similar over on the CT forum.

"There is only one other CT that has had this problem ( 3 total worldwide)..."
Very unlikely. Perhaps only 3 a/c have been reported this problem. Let's see if the mfgr. does the right thing and issues a SB or similar notice.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Tad Olmsted

Post by Tad Olmsted »

I didn't know there was one, I found it. Yes I will definately be posting it there. thanks!

Also, keep a good eye on those rod end bearings up in the CTLS head liner. I found one of those that had failed after only 400 hours.
Tad Olmsted
Director of Maintenence
2073 US HWY 92 KGIF
863-446-3001 cell
[email protected]

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Tad, there are 2 Ct forums. One is more active than the other. One spelled with a "Y" the other with a "I". Do you have pictures to show what we are looking for?
Tad Olmsted

Post by Tad Olmsted »

I have the drawing from FD, I'll attach it if I can figure out how to do that. Might be best just to email me and I will send it
[/img]
Tad Olmsted
Director of Maintenence
2073 US HWY 92 KGIF
863-446-3001 cell
[email protected]

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

My preflight inspection includes checking all flight control surfaces for excess play.
roger lee

LOA posting

Post by roger lee »

Hi Tad,

Roger Lee here. Send me the LOA by email and I'll get it posted for you.

[email protected]

Tad,

One thing FD needs to change is the new bearings they use in the newer LS and MC. Those bearings allow too much play and I have sent them a Service Difficulty Report, but haven't heard a thing. The old style single axis bearings were good, but these newer style allow for rotation in any axis like a bellcrank / rod end. Too much play with the forces acting on it in my opinion.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Tad Olmsted

Post by Tad Olmsted »

I have replaced 2 sets and they went back to the sealed bearing type. Much better!
Tad Olmsted
Director of Maintenence
2073 US HWY 92 KGIF
863-446-3001 cell
[email protected]