Does the Storm Century have a stall horn?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Does the Storm Century have a stall horn?

Post by N918KT »

When I was landing in the Storm Century today, I didn't hear a stall horn go off when we touched down on the runway. Is this type of LSA usually equipped with a stall horn?
roger lee

Stall horns

Post by roger lee »

Most LSA's don't have stall horns.
I guess the LSA Mfgs. think we are better pilots than the guys that fly GA. :lol: :lol:
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

The LSA's I've flown, Remos, Evektor and Gobosh all had stall horns. The Evektor stall warning would go off just taxing (well, sometimes - not all the time). It wasn't until I got into my StingSport when I first encountered an LSA with no stall warning. The stall on the low-wing LSA's is so subtitle that it sometimes can be difficult to tell, but with enough practice it starts to come fairly easy. The Remos on the other hand - whooo boy, a stall in that puppy and you'd have thought the right wing fell off the plane.

At least that is from my experience... others mileage may vary. :)
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Maybe I it is an option not standard for a Storm Century. I guess my flight school chose not to have a stall horn for the plane. I even flew one of their 172s and I don't ever recall a stall horn going off on their 172 during landings. I think it is an old 172, maybe that's why.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Some of the Dynon equipped airplanes have angle of attack indicators with an audible horn. This works kind of like a stall horn, but not exactly the same thing.