Rotax 5 year rubber hose replacement

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

Rotax 5 year rubber hose replacement

Post by roger lee »

Hi All,

Just a reminder that if you have an SLSA with a Rotax then there is a 5 year rubber replacement program that is mandatory for SLSA with a Rotax 912. If you have another type engine I'm pretty sure they have the same hose replacement program of some sort, but I'm only addressing Rotax right now.
2005 SLSA's were due last year and 2006 SLSA's are due this year.
If you have an ELSA you should follow the 5 year rubber replacement on your Rotax because you can't pull over to the curb and you don't want a new book in print titled "Saving a buck for Dummies). It's the smart thing to do and be safe especially since most of us carry passengers that expect us to keep them safe.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for posting this, Roger. Mine is a 2006, so it's on my schedule already, for the next 100 hour inspection. I should point out that this life limit applies not just to hoses, but to all rubber components. Thus, the coolant hoses, oil lines, Lord mounts, spark plug boots, carb sockets, and that little sheet of rubber underneath the coolant reservoir should all be replaced. Probably the flat rubber o-ring in the oil tank cap as well. Not sure whether the coolant cap has rubber in it or not, but if so, then replace it too, I guess.

And, yes, it's in the Rotax manual, so this should apply to E-LSAs as well.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chucky

Post by chucky »

Good to hear that you guys are actually doing these recomended items.

It use to be a constant battle when i was a GA mechanic.

Any one have a rough estimation of how much it costs to change all of these rubber components?
Theres Money in Aviaition, I know, I put it there!
roger lee

Rubber replacement and money

Post by roger lee »

The big factor is the type of plane and what you have as a setup. For many it can cost $800 -$1300 in parts only. Labor is approximately 24 hrs.

The BRS parachute has a repack time limit of 6 years and the cost is approximately $1000-$1100 and 2-3 weeks in time back to the factory. The rocket attached is 12 year time limit.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Paul,

Is there a "rubber parts" list or a kit that is available for the 912 for the 5 year rubber parts replacement event?

Ernie
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Thanks for posting this, Roger. Mine is a 2006, so it's on my schedule already, for the next 100 hour inspection. I should point out that this life limit applies not just to hoses, but to all rubber components. Thus, the coolant hoses, oil lines, Lord mounts, spark plug boots, carb sockets, and that little sheet of rubber underneath the coolant reservoir should all be replaced. Probably the flat rubber o-ring in the oil tank cap as well. Not sure whether the coolant cap has rubber in it or not, but if so, then replace it too, I guess.

And, yes, it's in the Rotax manual, so this should apply to E-LSAs as well.
Paul, you list is a little bit over and above what Rotax calls out for.
drseti

Post by drseti »

bitten192 wrote:Is there a "rubber parts" list or a kit that is available for the 912 for the 5 year rubber parts replacement event?
Not that I'm aware of, Ernie. I need to talk to Lockwood about that. I'll be doing the rubber swaps at my next 100 hour inspection, probably this summer. What I was planning to do is go through the illustrated parts catalog, make up a list, go through the price list, come up with a figure, and then ask Dean at Lockwood about coming up with a package price. Then, if they can't assign a single order number, at least I can provide my list to others.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:Paul, you list is a little bit over and above what Rotax calls out for.
True, but rubber is rubber. If one item is likely to deteriorate over five years, so are the others. As long as the engine is going to be down for a few days anyway, why not replace them all? Not much extra expense -- the NKG spark plug boots, for example, can be found online for about $3 apiece (times 8, that's still only an extra $24).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
bitten192 wrote:Is there a "rubber parts" list or a kit that is available for the 912 for the 5 year rubber parts replacement event?
Not that I'm aware of, Ernie. I need to talk to Lockwood about that. I'll be doing the rubber swaps at my next 100 hour inspection, probably this summer. What I was planning to do is go through the illustrated parts catalog, make up a list, go through the price list, come up with a figure, and then ask Dean at Lockwood about coming up with a package price. Then, if they can't assign a single order number, at least I can provide my list to others.
I've done one replacement on a CT. Lockwood did not have a list for the CT and they are a dealer for them. Flight Design also did not have a list. Also some of the needed replacement parts might need to come from the airplane manufacture as well. I made up a list for the CT and it is on the ctflier site. Doing the first one there was a bunch of little items I missed and had to order later.
roger lee

CT Parts list

Post by roger lee »

I have an FD/Rotax CTSW rubber replacement parts list and prices. Except for the CTSW engine mounts from FD I can get the entire package from CPS. I will be posting this on the www.ctflier.com forum in a few days. No one else has a list like this one. It was just developed. I'll be doing my own CT in a couple of weeks and once done I'll post a very accurate hose length list. Boy I can't wait for this fun. The CT's have to have their engines pulled and for 4 of these guys coming to me shortly they need the firewall blanket modification, rubber replacement and an Inspection.

Depending if you have a certain red rubber Rotax fuel hose on the engine the parts cost are $1000 - $1300. I will most likely give my customers a break on these cost. Labor is approximately 24 hrs. and at whatever your shop rates are.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Tad Olmsted

Post by Tad Olmsted »

Roger: is your list out yet? One thing guys forget very easy are the parts in the carbs ( diafram, viton needle ). It's great to see someone take the initiative on letting owners know about these life limit items.
Tad Olmsted
Director of Maintenence
2073 US HWY 92 KGIF
863-446-3001 cell
[email protected]
AP 3352190 IA, Rotax Heavy Certified

DEPENDABILITY... the certainty of proper performance of duty