Shop Rate for LSA and ultralights

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

chucky

Shop Rate for LSA and ultralights

Post by chucky »

Good Day

I'm new here,

I'm a licensed AME (similar A&P/IA) I am employed abut my current job is more of a desk job where i spend time reviewing drawings and inspecting the work carred out by my guys. In canada we currently do not have the LSA cattagory, I hope that changes soon because its a great idea. But some of the LS Aircraft are considered advanced altralights in Canada. I am thinking of starting something on the side. helping owners out with snags repairs annuals etc. I'm curious as to what the standard shop rate is for Light sport repairman?

Thanks for any replies, feel free to tell me I'm crazy.
I don't expect to get rich just help fund my Murphy Rebel project
Theres Money in Aviaition, I know, I put it there!
ArionAv8or

Re: Shop Rate for LSA and ultralights

Post by ArionAv8or »

chucky wrote:Thanks for any replies, feel free to tell me I'm crazy.
Ok, you're crazy. LOL, JK

I think demographics play a part in determining the price as well as reputation, abiliy, etc...

My local shop in Central Florida charges me $75.00 an hour to touch my aircraft. They know alot about airplanes but know very little about mine. The local Lightning dealer in Deland only charges me $65.00 an hour and has built an aircraft like mine from ground up. Can you guess where my aircraft goes for service? I personally would pay $85.00 an hour to a mechanic who has a great reputation and would do the work right the first time as opposed to paying $55.00 an hour to a guy who will half a$$ the work and leave things for me to wonder and worry about. Just my .02 cents worth and as always IMHO.
roger lee

Money

Post by roger lee »

Most shop rates are between $50-$90 an hour. The higher priced people are usually a large company with lots of overhead. The single guy doesn't have all the overhead so he can charge less. I do take some exception with what Arion said about price determines the quality of work. This is strictly a personal pride in your work and education issue. The amount of money has nothing to do with quality and I know many mechanics at the best of locations and that are high priced that do garbage work that I have to correct. I charge $50 an hour and have people come to me from 6 different states that pass all those high priced and closer to the plane mechanics. I do about 25+ annuals a year plus other work. I have no overhead so I see no reason to take advantage of people. He is right about geographic location and the number of aircraft in your vicinity, but bigger than that is your reputation. Will people come to you from far away because they believe in you? You will need to build that kind of reputation for the not so close to come to you.
Last edited by roger lee on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

I think you misunderstood what my meaning was Roger. I am no way, shape or form implied that the higher priced mechanics did better work. I eluded that it is usually the opposite. The higher priced mechanic in my example is NOT the one who works on my aircraft. The pride you speak of is very important to me as well and one of the determining factors in who works on my plane. Reputation is the key!!! If you re-read my post you will see that I am willling to pay more ($85.00) for better work and less worry regardless of who does it. All that says is I don't care who, big or small shop, does the work as long as it is right. I know mechanics with no overhead that rape people, I also know shops with very large overhead that give a fair price. I don't care what it costs as long as it is done right! Again, REPUTATION REPUTATION REPUTATION. I apologize if you misunderstood the higher price for better work.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Reputation is the key.

Yesterday I talked to another light sport pilot at my airport. We have different airplanes, but both fly Rotax 912's. We agreed that between the two of us, we had enough work to keep our off-field Rotax mechanic busy for a day. Even though there is more than one Rotax trained repairman around, we both trust the same guy. This works out well for all of us.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks for the replies

I agree the reputation means alot

the training and practicle experence means alot too. How you deal wtih customers interms of availability and warrenty issues.

Since August I have had 6 calls of people wanting me to do annuals, pre-purchase inspections on altra lights ammature built and certified. which got the thought in my head, 3 of these people were from out of province (state) I asked how they got my number and name one said "word of mouth, the EAA is a small friendly organization" Perhaps i have the start of a reputation, I'm thinking if I'm going to start something I should start soon. If i could cover a hangar while i finish my aircraft then it might not be too bad, my Day job currently pays the bills and will cover my license

Thanks again
roger lee

Money

Post by roger lee »

Hi Arion,

Sorry if I misconstrued the meaning. I do agree that if I had to pay more money for a better mechanic I would do it in a heart beat. We can't just pull over to the curb. I treat every single plane that comes to me like it was my own and will fly any of them once done. Only one way to fix something and that's the right way. Owners are willing to travel for quality and trusted work by a mechanic. No baling wire for this boy.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Roger

Thats exactly how I treat them all, only ive been known to take some risks so its my Mother and Nephew going on the first test flight. (Yes I love my mother) You cannot pull over to the side of the road, is an example alot of people do not understand.