Rotax 503 Won't Idle?????????????

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

BuffDaddy

Rotax 503 Won't Idle?????????????

Post by BuffDaddy »

Greetings All:
Need your help!! I purchased a Quicksilver that sat for approximately 13 months. Owner passed away and had to wait for all legal stuff to clear sale. Here is the problem?: When started, will not idle worth a darn. Seems to run better at high rpm's but in idle position it will die out. I know it was running good when stored, now keeps dying out at idle. Changed plugs, fresh gas, still won't idle and dies. If you play with throttle it will start when you also use primer, then dies after a few seconds at idle position??

I took carb fuel bowls off, found some green stuff on bottom of bowels? Figured it was old gas.

Is it possible carbs need good cleaning with carb cleaner to clean out?? Might idle circuit be clogged? I really need your help on this one. Need to ferry plane to my home airport but not till running well.

Carbs are Bing 54 carbs, 36mm I believe? single cable entry on top of carbs. Engine is a 503, duel carb, CDI ignition.

THANKS in advance for your ideas and help in this matter.

BuffDaddy
bryancobb

Sucks and Blows

Post by bryancobb »

A 2-Stroke sucks and blows. Sucks everywhere before combustion, and blows everywhere after combustion.

I'll bet you have an air leak on the "suck" side.

While it's running, spray starting fluid or WD-40 around all the possible leak points on the "suck" side. ( I.E. joint where crankcase halves meet)
If the rpm increase, you have a leak.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »