SLSA and your Service Bulletins

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Looks like with the new LSA rules becoming effective April 2nd. require all SLSA owners to have proof or documentation that all the SB's for your plane are current and that has to be passed on to the next owner as well. I have seen in the last two months too many CT's in specific that do not have service bulletins done and no documentation in their logbooks either way.
I would make it a priority as the owner to log these SB's in your logbook and get them signed off as done. This is anorther thing that will cost you big bucks when you decide to sell your plane if this is not done regardless of the new rule. I saw a CT last month that was 14 SB's out of date. Remember there are Rotax, FD and BRS SB's. If you don't get the mechanic to log and sign it off when they do it then getting another mechanic to sign off and take the liability for someone else's work may be difficult. There is usually a place in the back off the logbook to list any SB's that relate to you and documet the time and date done. You may even want to list ones that don't apply to your specific plane, i.e. the stabilator SB for older CT's, and log it as not applicable. It only takes 30 seconds and makes everyone's life easier. Sometimes trying to go back years on a plane to find if an item has been done is not that easy and some mechanics paperwork as you all know can be less than desirable.

This is not something really new, but should be done for any aircraft. keep good records and save yourself a headache and money later.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
slsaowner

SLSA Service Bulletins

Post by slsaowner »

I have my Bravo maintained by a Tecnam Service Center, so I'm not too concerned about being up-to-date on S/Bs, but one thing I'm curious about: We all know that any modifications to a SLSA must be approved by the manufacturer, but what about modifications mandated by S/Bs? Can an A&P do what's necessary to comply with an S/B without getting a specific letter of authorization from the manufacturer?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The SB will say who can do it, and if a modification is required the SB is your manufactures authorization to do it. Tom
drseti

Re: SLSA and your Service Bulletins

Post by drseti »

roger lee wrote: require all SLSA owners to have proof or documentation that all the SB's for your plane are current and that has to be passed on to the next owner as well.
Roger, my plane has mandatory SBs listed (and, of course, complied with :wink: ), but also non-mandatory ones marked "informative." I know that for certificated aircraft, a similar situation existed with mandatory and optional SBs, and that only the former were required by FAA (though for flight school use, it appears to be good practice to comply with the optional ones as well). Perhaps you know: since SLSAs are not subject to ADs, are ALL SBs now going to be required, or only the ones marked as mandatory? (And, if the acft is used for instruction or rent, do the optional ones also then become required?)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

SB's

Post by roger lee »

Hi Paul,

If an SB is marked only for information then that is all, but if it says you must comply then you have no option. Some SB's are aircraft or engine specific then you will need to see where you fall for that specific SB.
I haven't seen one for a Flight Design that says optional. We have seen a few from FD and Rotax that have been for information, but all the others must be complied with and have time lines for that compliance. If you have one that says optional for an aircraft then you have a choice. If you have something like that could you post it, I would like to see it.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Re: SB's

Post by drseti »

roger lee wrote: If you have one that says optional for an aircraft then you have a choice. If you have something like that could you post it, I would like to see it.
Roger, the Rotax 912ULS SB to upgrade the TBO to 2000 hours is marked as optional (in my case, I need merely replace the oil pump pressure spring and cap screw, and make a logbook entry. Other SNs have different requirements). Also, the Evektor SB for max GTOW upgrade of the SportStar Plus (from 1268 to 1320 pounds) is marked optional - and involves installing vortex generators to drop the clean stall speed down below 45 kts at higher weights, plus a replacement of the nosewheel tire with larger.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US