Jabiru engine

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

frfly172

Jabiru engine

Post by frfly172 »

Any truth to rumors that the jabiru engine has cooling problems causing overheating.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

It all depends on your cowl setup, prop selection and baffle installation. Properly done they cool fine. But it can be tricky sometimes.

I had the original small head fin equipped jabiru cooling great in a Kitfox once I made my own baffles and sealed everything instead of using the stock ducts. More like a Lycoming style of baffle system.

The X air cooled ok with the stock fiberglass ducting and the current large heads. I did add intercylinder baffles to force the air to stay by the fins.

This was all on the 4 cylinder version. I don't know about the 6 cylinder.
smokiescfi

Post by smokiescfi »

I have personally worked on a couple engines with Honda Ignition coils that failed due to heat.
Greg Collins
ATP, Gold Seal Master CFI, A&P Mechanic, IA
Blue Ridge Sport Flight LLC
http://www.blueridgesportflight.com
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

I have the Jabiru 3300 6 cylinder and it cools just fine. Of course mine was a factory installation in my Lightning and they know the engine better than anyone. All the Lightnings and Jabirus run this engine with no problems, as well as a lot of Sonex. I have even seen one in a Rans S-19 now. Cub is correct in the fact that setup is the key.

What are you thinking about putting it in?
smokiescfi

Post by smokiescfi »

One of the coil failures I worked on was on a Jabiru J230 that was assembled by the guys in Shelbyville. The problem appeared to be inadequate cooling air flow. The Jabiru baffling included a tube that directs air onto the coils, if it is not aimed correctly, the coils get hot. This happened several years ago, on one of the early airplanes, and the guys in Shelbyville were aware of the problem.

The other coil failure was in a Lightening. The Lightening crashed at the Transylvania County airport after losing power while in the pattern, the builder and a local CFI died in the accident. The same airplane had suffered a previous engine failure, but I believe the problem was fuel related, and not an engine malfunction.

The Jabiru engines are really beautfiul machines, and I highly recommend them, just be sure to baffle and install correctly, as you would with any other engine.
Greg Collins
ATP, Gold Seal Master CFI, A&P Mechanic, IA
Blue Ridge Sport Flight LLC
http://www.blueridgesportflight.com
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

I haven't had any coil problems on the 4 cylinder versions and we ran pretty hot on floats while sorting out the prop. Might be a 6 cylinder problem.

I wish they would paint the engines. It looks great when new but you don't really have any way of stopping corrosion on the bare aluminum.