LSA repairman training

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

AcuWings

LSA repairman training

Post by AcuWings »

I am not an A&P and don't have time to go to an A&P school but would like to become a LSA repair certificates. How one does go about getting one?

Thanks..
glyn

Post by glyn »

there is a company out of Cali called Rainbow aviation.. www.rainbowaviation.com
they came to dallas and gave some classes. GREAT PEOPLE !!!!!! they will teach you every thing you need to know.
www.sportflyers.org

www.ussportplanes.com

if you can't fly right.... fly upside down
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

Are you inquiring as to working on your own LSA or others?
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Just completed my 120 hr LSRM-Airplane course at Rainbow Aviation. Great Course!

eb
KellyZ

Rotax Mechanic Certification

Post by KellyZ »

In an article in the current issue of Midwest Flyer Magazine Carol Carpenter of Rainbow Aviation Services says she thinks the FAA may be going to rule that Rotax can not require that mechanics working on Rotax engines have Rotax certification, because that would be inconsistent with one or more of the FARs. Anybody know anything more about that?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The FAA did rule that way. You don't have to have training from Rotax, but you do have to have training in the task you are doing before doing it I/A/W the CFR's. There are some things taht are different on the Rotax where if you don't have the propper training you could mess up an engine. Also if the engine is in warranty if you don't have Rotax certification the warranty will be voided. Tom
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tom is correct. There's lots you can learn from the Rotax courses, and if you own a Rotax powered aircraft, or work on them, the knowledge is (IMHO) very much worth the price of the classes. All engines are different -- that's why I took the Lycoming class too, years ago, even though the FAA didn't require it.

You'll never know how valuable knowledge is until you need it and don't have it.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Who can work on a Rotax?

Post by roger lee »

For a number of years the FAA went along with the Rotax requirement that all mechanics have Rotax authorized training before working on a Rotax engine. The FAA actually suspended some A&P's. Then an A&P purposefully got himself violated by the FAA for working on a Rotax and challenged the ruling. FAA legal came down and finally said legally Rotax could not do require training solely from them. Many people and organizations challenged that ruling saying it wasn't wise. The FAA agreed that it wasn't wise for anyone to work on a Rotax with out training and have loads of mechanical failures and issues caused by those people, but legally Rotax could not require anyone to attend a class or an update. The FAA further more stated that mechanics of any certification must have some training, but it did not have to come from Rotax and they must have the proper tools. Proper tools is the least of some mechanics worries, you can't get them to look at a manual, use a check list or look for an SB. If you go to a mechanic for any engine work and he doesn't have the manuals, go somewhere else. This puts all the liability right on top of the mechanic because if there is an incident and the FAA investigates the mechanic gets violated and it leaves him open for a major civil suit and a huge expense to get things fixed from the owner. If the mechanic didn't know what he was doing the first time around and caused the problem then how would he ever hope to fix it plus it probably means he didn't have the training to start with. FAA put everything right on top of the mechanic's and owner's shoulders. No one liked the idea of being forced to take a Rotax class, but it did help protect owners and the mechanic.

That said if you have a warranty the "not trained by Rotax" person will cost you your warranty if you have one. It would void any claims against the engine and any work that had to be done on an SB that Rotax would pay parts for would be void. Bottom line Rotax will not back anyone they have not trained and that they can do and that FAA has no say over.

So the bottom line is education is the key to protecting yourself whether your a mechanic or owner. Ask your mechanic if he has any training, tools and how many of the specific type of engine he has worked on. I always recommend that any new mechanic or even a seasoned one work with someone a few times when they want to work on an engine they have no real experience with, no matter what kind of engine. It will protect you in the long run. I have owners and mechanics come and do inspections with me or general maint. to learn. Wouldn't you want someone who was working on your Continental to have some knowledge, experience, documentation and proper tools? I did the same thing. Learn in advance don't get thrown into the fire. It may be hotter than you really think.

The price of a class is around $500, but may save you the owner or mechanic $1000-$5000+ in repairs.

WORK SMART NOT HARD AND PLAY SAFE AND HAVE FUN!
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)