Hiss in the headphones in a Rotax-powered airplane

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

slsaowner

Hiss in the headphones in a Rotax-powered airplane

Post by slsaowner »

I have recently noticed an annoying hiss in the headphones installed in my Rotax-powered plane. It is equally loud on both radios, but loudness seems to be rpm-dependent. and non-existent at idle power. There's no change in the "frequency" of the sound when RPM changes, only the volume. Anybody have any idea what's going on?
rfane

Post by rfane »

If this came up without adding any additional equipment, I would look for a loose ground connection.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I agree, a bad ground is the usual cause, but it can also be a ground loop, where both ends of a shield ground are connected to ground when it should be just one end. I fly behind a Rotax and have never had a problem.

A side node/example. I just bought a new pickup. It has a jack to listen to my IPod, which is great, but when I set my IPod on the charger (in the cigarette lighter) there is a very annoying hiss. I'm sure it's a ground loop and this in a 2009, brand new vehicle. Without being in the charger it works great.

Ron
slsaowner

Hiss in the headphones

Post by slsaowner »

I think what I'm hearing is noise picked up by the mike - a David Clark electret - because when I wrap my hand around it the "hiss" goes away. It's as though the mike is picking up the sound of air rushing by the cockpit, a combination of propwash and slipstream air.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

maybe your intercom squelch?
slsaowner

Hiss in the headphones

Post by slsaowner »

Yeah, I've been thinking the very same thing. I'll check it out next time I fly.
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

(a David Clark electret ) Just in my opinion this is a lot of your problem. I have had david clarks and every set I have had were JUNK! I got a nice set of avcomm and they work excellent and are about half the price. Just My oppinion.
"Keep on Draggin"
slsaowner

Hiss in the headphones

Post by slsaowner »

It was the squelch - squelch knob was turned all the way down.