Rotax 914 Reliability

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

pitfield

Rotax 914 Reliability

Post by pitfield »

I'd be grateful for comments concerning the reliablity of the 914. I have heard it said that they are less reliable than the 912 ULS and, although I'd like the extra hp, I don't wish to find myself saddled with an engine that is unreliable. Comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jeremy MacGregor

Post by Jeremy MacGregor »

There is nothing wrong with the reliability of the 914 series engines. Just like any other engine it needs to be properly set-up and maintained and you will have very few issues with it. Most people doing realize that to accuratly set up the TCU, throttle Position Sensor, and Waste Gate servo, you need to have a computer connected to your TCU thru an RS-232 port, the engine itself is not plug and play and that is a common misconseption that has led to many maintanience issues. The 914 is a very good engine and generates more power and runs smoother than any of the other 912 models, just be prepared to give a little more TLC, the your S model.
1(209)481-5881cell
pitfield

Thanks

Post by pitfield »

I've subsequently had a very helpful exchange of emails with the guys at Lockwood. Your views echo their own and I'm completely satisfied that the 914 is, with the proper set-up and appropriate care, as reliable as the 912.
Regards,
Chip
EppyGA

Post by EppyGA »

It does power the Predator drone.
Randy Epstein