Necessary certification to work on a 'project' plane?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

kc7rad

Necessary certification to work on a 'project' plane?

Post by kc7rad »

If I were to locate an older Aeronca or Cub; some standard aircraft that falls in the LSA category, that needs some TLC to make her fly again, what certification would I need to do the work?

I previously saw a discussion somewhere about working on an E-LSA that was built by someone else, as if I were to buy someone's kit plane or homebuilt.

Probably a noob question, but I may have a few of those.

TIA
-Ken
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

For a cub or champ depends on what type of things you're going to do.

If it's a complete fabric recover, sandblast fuselage, tube repair then you'll need an IA who is willing to inspect your work. Perform the hard stuff and then he/she will sign there name to it when your finished.

It's a little sticky because your name does not go on any paperwork. The IA is signing the work off the same as if they performed the work.

EAA and the fabric covering system providers just say something like " have a mechanic check it over then they'll sign it off after assembly" but in reality most airplanes need a lot more once you get the skin off.

Best way is to find a flying but ratty airplane. Buy it cheap. Then unbolt everything which will come apart. Overhaul the engine using new cylinders and mags if possible, buy a new wood prop if it needs it, Then blast the fuselage tubing, replace all wiring, replace cables. (use galvanized not stainless unless your on floats). Have the mechanic inspect everything and if it needs repairs let them perform them. You do all the painting. When ready for covering have the mechanic look again for assembly errors. When covering let them help you glue everything down and shrink. You then do all the stitching, painting and taping. Then the mechanic assists with assembly, rigging, glass, and paperwork. .

The mechanic should be very comfortable signing it off and you will have an airplane as good as new and which should last 30 years before the next recover.

Cheap.... no But less expensive than a new LSA.

Least cost is go find a nice airplane rebuilt by a reputable person and buy it. Go fly and have fun.

If you want to do it yourself realize there are no short cuts. It will always be the part that gives trouble later.