Repairman Certificate

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

FLA-CFI

Repairman Certificate

Post by FLA-CFI »

I thought I would post my experiences as I work through the LSA repairman certificate class. I'll be taking the 120 hr course over the next 3 weeks at Rainbow Aviation out in CA... http://www.rainbowaviation.com/120_hr_course.htm

Has anyone else been through the course? Experiences?

I'll keep you all updated as often as possible...
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

Well if anyone is interested I finished up the 3 week course at Rainbow Aviation. I am now an official Light Sport Repairman with a Maintenance Rating. :D

Both Carol and Brian Carpenter are great people, very knowledgeable, and run a fantastic course. They cover a lot of ground and material in 120hours worth of class and activities.

We did everything from composite work to fabric to sheet metal. We went through both the 2-stroke and 4-stroke rotax engines and covered the smaller lycomings and continentals you might run into in LSAs.

I would suggest to anyone, no matter the mechanical skill level, to take the course if you are at all interested in maintaining Light Sport Aircraft.

I'm in no way affiliated with Rainbow Aviation and this is NOT a paid advertisement.... :o
Adam

CFI-SP, Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance, Rotax Cert.
Orlando, FL
DKarnage

Post by DKarnage »

Nice! Did you have any kind of mechanical/maintenance experience prior to the course?
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

I did have experience going into the course. But most don't and the Carpenters teach everything from the ground up.

My experience consisted mainly of the certified aircraft so I didn't know much about the Light Sport maintenance.
Adam

Orlando, FL
Skyview Aviation

Post by Skyview Aviation »

Thanks for the Pirep. I'm scheduled for their 3 week class in May. I was supposed to go to the class this fall, but it conflicted with the AOPA Expo and I can't be in two places at once.
Craig Vincent
Skyview Aviation, LLC
Tracy Municipal Airport (KTCY)
www.SkyviewAviation.com
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

Yeah I was able to head over the the AOPA expo one weekend during the course....
I it is a great course and I am sure you'll learn a lot.
Adam

Orlando, FL