just want to make a statement about fuel. all fuel

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

glyn

just want to make a statement about fuel. all fuel

Post by glyn »

for the new guys. if there is ever a question about anything when you are sitting out there under a perfect sky about what type of fuel to use. be sure it is the correct one.
fuel burns different on hot day vs cold days. humidity also plays an effect. if the engine has been running hot during the summer and you have been using 100LL it's gonna run a bit hotter if you use gas station fuel .
don't push the envelope, be safe, you need to be there to teach the young kids that are looking up to you how to fly. SAFETY first.
i have seen to may times that a guy goes to the gas pump and fills up some brand new 5 gal jugs and when he is finished dumping it in the wing, you look in the bottom and there is a bit of trash in there. granted, it may not effect the engine right away but it soon will. older engines get clogged easier than the newer ones. they have had time to get some build in the carb, valves, etc.
just please be safe. if there is ever a doubt in your mind, ask. there is never a stupid question!
anyway, hope i don't sound like i am on a soap box. im just big on safety.
guys, i fly aerobatics, skydive, base jump, about anything crazy in the air. BUT it's all within safety.
we have had 2 incidents at a local airport within the last 3 months and that's why i am posting this. allot of people are getting their license or getting their license back and are so eager to get in the air they don't think of the details that can effect the rest of their lives.

glyn