Wing root tape

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Wing root tape

Post by Warmi »

Wondering what people use to tape wing roots ?
I noticed some ripping cracks and splits on one wing root.

Seems this would be a decent choice http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/bowlus.htm , a bit pricey ....anything cheaper in, say Home Depot :D ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Re: Wing root tape

Post by 3Dreaming »

A $100,000 airplane and you want to save a few bucks on a roll of tape. :roll: All joking aside, I have been using the Bowlus tape for about 10 years now. It works, and works well. You might find something that looks similar in the box store, but the next time the tape needs replaced you might spend enough time cleaning up the tape goo to make up the difference. The Bowlus tape is worth the extra money in my opinion.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Read the product warning labels carefully. 3M makes a product they call Propeller Leading Edge Tape. I once bought a roll from Acft Spruce (to put on the leading edges of prop blades, of course). It came accompanied by a tag, stating "caution: not for use on aircraft propellers."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

3Dreaming wrote:A $100,000 airplane and you want to save a few bucks on a roll of tape. :roll: All joking aside, I have been using the Bowlus tape for about 10 years now. It works, and works well. You might find something that looks similar in the box store, but the next time the tape needs replaced you might spend enough time cleaning up the tape goo to make up the difference. The Bowlus tape is worth the extra money in my opinion.
Don’t remind me.
I just got done with my 5 year Rotax rubber replacement and I am not in the mood for $100 000 jokes :D
Every time I spend money on this plane I have to remind myself that I will die one day and may as well enjoy while I am still alive heh.

I will go with The Bowlus tape since a roll should last me for a while ( I hope)

On an unrelated note ...
DrSeti do you, by any chance, do avionics installations or dynamic prop balancing ?
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Bowlus does last awhile. And, it comes in different widths.
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
914Driver

Post by 914Driver »

Sailplane gap tape is poly, goes on easy and can be removed without residue left behind. I put it on and remove it for every flight, Club ships leave it on all season and it comes off just fine.

$4.50/roll. Even if it doesn't make you jump higher and run faster, it may make the trip quieter.

Dan

http://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals/g ... -tape.html
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Here you go. Use 1". There is no need for 2" tape. The Flight Design fleet uses this tape. When you apply it do not stretch it. Just pull it out a lay it down. Stretching it will cause cracking later. If you need to take old tape residue off use some Goof-Off on a rag.
This tape works very well and should suit your needs.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/bowlus.htm
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Minor nit -- I'd suggest 1" on the wing root and 2" on the flaps (if you elect to tape here).
dave
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Thanks guys - I think will stick with taping wing roots only (which is what it was in the first place when I got the plane )
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote: On an unrelated note ...
DrSeti do you, by any chance, do avionics installations or dynamic prop balancing ?
I do limited avionics installs on Dynon Skyview (have done ADS-B 2020 upgrades, and gave two EAA Webinars on the topic). Sorry, don't have dynamic prop balancing capabilities.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Warmi wrote: On an unrelated note ...
Not to pimp but give Rich Maisano at Bristell America (717-371-8677) located at Lancaster Airport KLNS in PA.

I know for sure that he is anal when it comes to vibration and has the equipment :roll:
drseti

Post by drseti »

An excellent lead, Jim. Should have thought of it myself. Warmi, Rich is in Sebring right now, but you can try him in a week.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

+1 on Bowlus tape. What’s on mine is about 4 years old and only now looking like it’s about due for replacement.

A couple tricks...

1) I wanted to be able to see my wing attach points. I taped in some clear plastic from bubble-pack to that end:

2) My wing gap widens out appreciably as it moves aft towards the flap linkage. I cut some white plastic to help bridge that gap. Sorry, no photos.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Here's that wedge of white plastic I used to bridge the widening gap in the aft portion of my wing root:

Like I said, I'm a bit overdue for a retaping job.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Got the tape ... will be taping soon.

Interestingly, the guy who sells this stuff strongly suggests sending him checks vs CC ... nothing wrong with that , obviously he wants to save some money but I think this is the first check I wrote in , I don't know .. long time :-)

BTW Eddie that is some serious taping you got going on there ... Is it due to noise or performance ?