Is it legal?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

stevem

Is it legal?

Post by stevem »

I have a Cessna 162. Cessna has not published a software upgrade to the G300 in a long time. Garmin has updated the GDU 375 software multiple times. Is it legal for me to update to the Garmin software? There are several added features that would be great to have. The 300 and the 375 are the same boxes. Thanks
roger lee

Re: Is it legal?

Post by roger lee »

The technical answer is no it isn't legal, but people have found out that several MFG's are not keeping up and some flat don't seem to care. Some aircraft MFG's just don't know they are supposed to do this. Legally the MFG of the plane is supposed to test the software version to make sure it is all compatible with their application. For many years people have been updating their systems unaware and even today many just update their systems and don't worry about it. Flight Design has been doing this now for a couple of years and even lock out the system until a new update can be tested.
So the answer comes down to a personal decision for you and I guess the would be based on what plane you own and if the MFG even cares.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

stevem wrote:I have a Cessna 162. Cessna has not published a software upgrade to the G300 in a long time. Garmin has updated the GDU 375 software multiple times. Is it legal for me to update to the Garmin software? There are several added features that would be great to have. The 300 and the 375 are the same boxes. Thanks
Don't do it. I did an update to my G300 (unaware at the time that I wasn't suppose to) and it screwed it up. Had to take it to an avionics shop and reprogram it. I really don't know the details but they did some things to the G300 specifically for Cessna. Unless the updates are authorized by Cessna, don't touch it.
stevem

Post by stevem »

Thanks for the responses. I'll just wait for Cessna. Just feel like they have abandoned the Skycatcher
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Well, if you have a problem and call Cessna they will give you or your mechanic all the technical assistance you need. For some reason, they just haven't seen fit to follow along with revisions to the G300.

But, if it ever gets really bad, there is always the conversion to Experimental.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

stevem wrote:Thanks for the responses. I'll just wait for Cessna. Just feel like they have abandoned the Skycatcher
I'm in contact with Cessna and have been told that a Garmin 3GX 2020 ADS-B out compliant solution has to be approved by Cessna. They basically told me that they are working on a G1000 solution first. The Skycatcher is on the back burner.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Just curious, are there obstacle database updates available for the G300? Seems like that should be updated monthly when the new charts come out.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

You could also ask Cessna for an LOA or MRA to update the software. Might be easier than waiting for them to do the legwork on the updates.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deltazulu

Post by deltazulu »

I have a C162 and considering the ELSA conversion so that I could add ifr and adsb equip. Anyone have experience with the SLSA to ELSA C162 conversion? Anyone had conversation with Garmin on if G300 can be re-programed to G3xx to accept external GPS and NAV information if converting to elsa?

Spoke with Garmin and Cessna at last years Airventure about the ADS B solution. Both pointed me to the other for information thus there was no answer. My fear is that when Cessna gets around to it they will define a narrow Garmin centric solution for ADSB that will be costly.

I want the ifr ability because of restrictive vfr cloud clearances on long cross country flights. I have no intention of long term flying in the clouds. Only up and through and down and through. I could just change aircraft but I own the c162 outright and it is not worth anywhere what it was paid for. Really a fun airplane to fly but really a bad investment thanks to Cessna.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If you convert to ELSA, you can certainly add whatever avionics you want. Whether or not it will then be legal to file IFR or accept IFR clearances is a separate issue. Every aircraft that has a Special Airworthiness Certificate has an accompanying Operating Limitations sheet. For an Expermental, this is issued by the DAR or FSDO airworthiness inspector who issues the Airworthiness Certificate. Unless that specifically authorizes IFR, the plane is VFR legal only, regardless of the equipment installed. So, talk this over with your FSDO or DAR before doing the conversion.
Eddie, what does your Operating Limitations sheet say?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

A little confusing.

First it says "Day VFR only".

Next it says, unless equipped for night or IFR flight, then Day VFR only.

See #10 and #11 below:

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote:A little confusing.

First it says "Day VFR only".

Next it says, unless equipped for night or IFR flight, then Day VFR only.

See #10 and #11 below:

I didn't find that confusing. Any phase 1 flight test time must be done in VFR conditions. When not operating in the phase 1 flight test you may fly night or IFR if you have the required equipment. I would bet that is also someplace that describes under what conditions you must put the aircraft into phase 1 flight testing, such as adding a different prop or engine.

Edit: went back and looked and #6 list the conditions for phase 1 flight testing.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

All I meant was that if you took #10 by itself, it seems absolute.

Simlarly, my Limitations also first prohibit flight over congested areas. But then allows them, as long as, if the power fails, a landing could be made without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface - essentially the same language as the FAR regarding minumum altitudes in general.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote:All I meant was that if you took #10 by itself, it seems absolute.
Only if taken out of context with regards to the whole document.