LSA Rental Insurance

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

Ejs621

LSA Rental Insurance

Post by Ejs621 »

I have a quick question. Are insurance rates different if an LSA is not used for instruction and only rented to licensed pilots? Would a non-equity share arrangement for licensed pilots also reduce insurance rates?
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I'll add to this post by asking about insurance for a LSA in a flying club. (See the dialogue in the Flying Club forum under Pros and Cons of a LSA in a Flying Club.)

Can you get insurance for a LSA used by a Flying Club? If so, will a sport pilot license qualify a club member to fly the LSA? What happens when the Flying Club allows it's aircraft to be used for member flight instruction - sport, private, instrument, commercial?

I am not looking for specifics, but would appreciate general guidelines from someone who knows the aviation insurance marketplace.

Chuck
Bob Mackey

Post by Bob Mackey »

Aircraft is obtainable for commercial use and flying club use of a LSA. Further, if the aircraft is an LSA or a Sport Pilot qualified Standard aircraft insurance is available for this siutaiton as well..

This being said it is important to understand that the insurance companies will still carefully review any new flight school and rental operations or flying clubs. This means you'll have to put together details about operations, rules, safety procedures, etc. The insurance companies really review these in detail. Also, the premium will be 75% to 150% more than you would pay for individual insurance.

Bob
Bob Mackey
Senior Vice President
Falcon Insurance Agency
(EAA Aircraft Insurance Plan)