10% Ethanol

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

Roger

10% Ethanol

Post by Roger »

Rotax I beleive says no more then 5% ethanol in mogas. The airplane manufacturer won't sign off on more BUT our state has decicided to go to 10% ethanol in their MOGAS. Apparently the plane will burn it but If I use it will my insurance still cover me?

Roger
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Lockwood has actually told me that using 10% shouldn't be a problem. With that said...if you have an accident and the cause of the accident is the use of 10% Ethanol fuel than insurance will likely not cover the accident. So how does 10% Ethanol cause the accident? That is the real question and a very difficult causation question. The FAA/Insurance would have to go through the engine and fuel system to determine whether 10% was a contributing factor (erroded fuel lines, weak gaskets, etc.).
Roger

lockwood / Ethanol

Post by Roger »

Thanks for the input...appricated. I know Lockwood will tell you it's all right but he won't put it in writing. In fact I don't think you'll find anywhere in writing that a 912 will be good to go with 10%.

Roger