Low Time Insurance

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

Kai Schumann

Low Time Insurance

Post by Kai Schumann »

I'm looking to get started with training next year, and am very seriously considering building the Vans RV-12 when it is available. The one question still out there is what would a ball park figure for liability insurance be for a low time pilot in one of these aircraft. Figure only 100 hours or so flying by the time the build is complete. Since nearly all E-LSA aircraft have virtually no history, does that mean I'll be priced out of the hobby?
Bob Mackey

Low Time Insurance

Post by Bob Mackey »

Hi Kia!

Thanks for your question!

You should have no problem obtaining insurance once you have your RV-12 completed. In fact you have a couple of things going for you that will help.

First off, the RV series of aircraft have a very good reputation with the aviation insurance companies and even though the RV-12 is new the "RV effect" will help make insurance available at a competitive price.

Second, while many aviation insurance companies tend to shy away from offering insurance for a Student Pilot in an experimental amateur-built or experimental special light sport aircraft, the RV-12 with it's flight characteristics will be received by the aviation insurance companies as a compatable airplane for a Student Pilot to train in.

If you can finish your Sport Pilot license before you finish your RV-12 this will help reduce your insurance premium. Regardless, you will find insurance available and you will definitely enjoy flying the RV-12.

Happy building and happy flying!

Bob
Bob Mackey
Senior Vice President
Falcon Insurance Agency
(EAA Aircraft Insurance Plan)
Kai Schumann

Post by Kai Schumann »

Thanks for the reply,

Thats good news! The Owner/operator of Vansairforce.com got to fly the RV-12 during the recent homecoming, and gave a very good review of the flight handling and the spectacular view out of this plane. I think that once this plane starts getting some completions out there that the demand will be huge for this kit. Even the RV-7 and 8 guys are talking about building one for local flights because of the view and easy handling...
Bob Mackey

Low Time Insurance

Post by Bob Mackey »

Kai,

You are absolutely correct! I've heard several people say, including a few RV folks, that they want to build an RV-12 because they know the quality of the kit will be there and they want to enjoy the freedom of flying as a Sport Pilot.

Go for it and good luck!

Bob
Bob Mackey
Senior Vice President
Falcon Insurance Agency
(EAA Aircraft Insurance Plan)