FBO Rental/Club Insurance Requires Medical

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

FrankR

FBO Rental/Club Insurance Requires Medical

Post by FrankR »

Hey guys. Back online after several very busy months.

Question: Is it reasonable for an FBO that rents LSA's (Skycatcher), or a club to not do business with SP-ASEL's who fly with their drivers license?

Background: there's a Skycatcher right over there (nice and close). It just sits at the FBO. When I asked about getting a check ride, they said that their insurance requires a valid medical.

I suspect this "arrangement" is probably allowable. However, it is not convenient for us renters.

Another club that I know of won't put an LSA in the club because (they told me) their insurance requires a valid medical.

Thoughts?
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
3Dreaming

Re: FBO Rental/Club Insurance Requires Medical

Post by 3Dreaming »

I had a a company that required a medical for all certificated pilots, except student pilot seeking sport pilot privileges. That's right, I could train and solo a sport student pilot, and as soon as they passed their checkride they needed a medical to have insurance to fly home.

The key word in all this is, "had".
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Sure, the insurance company can require all pilots to have an ATP, 747 type rating and exclusively use Crest toothpaste. The FBO or club will get nice low premiums that way and everyone has fresh breath. The FBO/club can always ask for, or change insurers to get a policy that allows for Sport a Pilots using DLs if they're willing to pay a higher premium. As with most things, particular circumstances play a big role in what they can get and how much it costs.

[some of the above was in jest]
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Crest toothpaste, Bruce? I'd be more inclined to require my students to use Scope mouthwash!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:Crest toothpaste, Bruce? I'd be more inclined to require my students to use Scope mouthwash!
Offer them Tic Tacs, so that they don't get dry mouth. :mrgreen:
- Bruce