Life insurance question

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

Cluemeister

Life insurance question

Post by Cluemeister »

Applying for new 15 year term insurance. I do not fly yet, and am not officially enrolled in flight school. However, there is a question about flying on the insurance application. if I check "no" on the application box to the question of "do you fly or do you plan to fly", and then if I followed through and started school within two years, if something happens in that two year period due to flying, the insurance won't pay. If I check "yes", that doubles the premium for 15 years, and I'm covered from the beginning.

Is there a way to purchase a short term (2 years?) life insurance policy that does cover a student pilot until the other insurance will cover? I know the premium would be very high, but at least I'm only paying for the first few years instead of all 15. Especially if life changes and I don't fly anymore, but I've locked into a 15 year term policy rate that assumes I'm a student and/or GA pilot.

And is my information correct? Thoughts?
MrMorden

Re: Life insurance question

Post by MrMorden »

Cluemeister wrote:Applying for new 15 year term insurance. I do not fly yet, and am not officially enrolled in flight school. However, there is a question about flying on the insurance application. if I check "no" on the application box to the question of "do you fly or do you plan to fly", and then if I followed through and started school within two years, if something happens in that two year period due to flying, the insurance won't pay. If I check "yes", that doubles the premium for 15 years, and I'm covered from the beginning.

Is there a way to purchase a short term (2 years?) life insurance policy that does cover a student pilot until the other insurance will cover? I know the premium would be very high, but at least I'm only paying for the first few years instead of all 15. Especially if life changes and I don't fly anymore, but I've locked into a 15 year term policy rate that assumes I'm a student and/or GA pilot.

And is my information correct? Thoughts?
If you lie on the application they can void the entire policy, no matter how you meet your demise.

My life policy will pay if I'm a passenger, but not if I'm the pilot. Apparently the left seat is far more dangerous than the right seat...go figure.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Maybe I just need to find someone who writes more pilot insurance. I don't mind paying more, but more than double seemed like a lot. As a GA pilot does your chance of death double?
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

They said my other option was to check "no", and wait at least two years before starting to fly. Then the period of contestability was over.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Andy, you need to ride with SportPilot from the right seat. Now you're covered!
:D
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I have sent an information request to a pilot-specific insurance company.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Cluemeister wrote:I have sent an information request to a pilot-specific insurance company.
I think AOPA and maybe EAA offer term life to members.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Not specific to life insurance, but my experience with AOPA for aircraft insurance.

The 1st year was HIGH... $3k!!
I figured OK, low-time pilot, 1st plane, etc.

My second year renewal premium dropped significantly... (no claims, lots more hours) but it was still higher than most of the other pilots I knew, flying similar aircraft.

So I questioned it and they dropped the premium... a little.

Then I got a very competitive quote elsewhere.
THEN AOPA matched it.

** Moral of the story: Do your shopping, even if it's AOPA.

One feature that I like about AOPA is the ability to finance the premium.
Many carries require full premium upfront.
For some it will not matter, for others it's nice to have the option.

Please keep us posted, and good luck!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
designrs

Post by designrs »

MrMorden wrote:My life policy will pay if I'm a passenger, but not if I'm the pilot. Apparently the left seat is far more dangerous than the right seat...go figure.
So, flying with a idiot in the left seat is covered.

Piloting yourself will extreme diligence is not!

:lol:
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

designrs wrote:
MrMorden wrote:My life policy will pay if I'm a passenger, but not if I'm the pilot. Apparently the left seat is far more dangerous than the right seat...go figure.
So, flying with a idiot in the left seat is covered.

Piloting yourself will extreme diligence is not!

:lol:
Exactly! I had a discussion with our HR lady about how dumb this was. She looked at me the way a dog looks at a ceiling fan and just kept repeating "piloting is not covered."

:roll:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

designrs wrote:Then I got a very competitive quote elsewhere.
THEN AOPA matched it.
How did you pull that off? When I told AOPA I found cheaper insurance elsewhere, they didn't even ask where or how much.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
designrs

Post by designrs »

Quite the opposite. AOPA wanted to know exactly where, what agency, and what insurance company. Then AOPA can demand the same quote.
... and finance the insurance if desired.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.