Best Company for LSA Insurance

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

drseti

Re: Best Company for LSA Insurance

Post by drseti »

Even though I'm not yet 75, I greatly resent that blatant age discrimination. There is absolutely no justification for requiring a medical certificate in an LSA, regardless of age (and no accident history to support such a policy). I for one would look elsewhere for insurance, just because of that - and make sure the company knows why they're losing my business.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

drseti wrote:Even though I'm not yet 75, I greatly resent that blatant age discrimination. There is absolutely no justification for requiring a medical certificate in an LSA, regardless of age (and no accident history to support such a policy). I for one would look elsewhere for insurance, just because of that - and make sure the company knows why they're losing my business.
Maybe it's based on accident data, and not because the insurance company doesn't like people over 75. I certainly would ask for a justification.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The accident data I've studied just do not support the theory that 3rd class medicals improve safety in any way, at any age.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

I'm OK with it. The original policy said Private license needed, with 1k hours and 25 in make/model. Dropping it to Sport pilot and above, with 500 hours and 10 in make/model seemed like a reasonable compromise.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
norgate3

Post by norgate3 »

norgate3 wrote:Update:
Same price with same coverage from USSIC through AOPA $1490

Quote from AIG: $1644
135,000 hull (same as last year)
Medical each person 10,000 (up from $5000 from USSIC)
No deductibles
Open pilot warranty. Any pilot, private or better certified with the FAA and approved by me. (compared with Named pilot only, me, through USSIC).
More territories to fly in compared with USSIC.

Much more coverage for $154 more.
I'm still working with AOPA to try and get the premium reduced. Hopefully they'd take into account the 32 ASF safety courses taken since 2006, mountain flying courses both academic and practical with the CAP, mission pilot and mission check pilot CAP, 30 year CAP experience.
I'm pulling out all the stops on this one. I'll post with final quote and see if any of the above made any difference.

Rich

The above didn't make a bit of difference with AIG. Remained at $1644.
USSIC drop the price from $1490 to $1390.