would you fly w/out insurance?

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

busted

would you fly w/out insurance?

Post by busted »

I guess this question wouldn't be for Bob, anyway, Just looking at the quicksilver at uflyit in Florida. In the FAQ section the last one is "Can I get insurance for my ultralight?" answere is.... "At this time we don't know of any U.S. companies that will insure your aircraft"
Not haveing any hull insurance I could live with, but not any liability for for crashing into a mall? Just wondering how many fly with out it. thank you. Also, the quicksilver dealer that I took a demo ride in said he didn't have insurance on any of his a/c.
Kinda weird if you think about it in that he didn't even ask that I sign a waiver or something. thank you
busted

Re: would you fly w/out insurance?

Post by busted »

Gosh, I really want to fly floats (amphips) and that might be my only option. Can an airport keep you out if they find out you don't have insurance?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Airports and FBOs routinely require their renter pilots, based aircraft, and hangar tenants to have some sort of insurance. But I have never heard of one requiring insurance of itinerant pilots, or even having a way of knowing whether you have any. A public use airport is open to the public, and many choose to self-insure. (Whether or not this is wise is a separate discussion.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Coloradoeasyrider

Post by Coloradoeasyrider »

I owned a large FBO a few years back and I got to know quite a few customers very well. It may be supprising to learn that maybe 2 to 3% of pilots flying there own planes did not carry insurance. There were two reasons, either they lost their medical, or they self insured there planes and set up an off shore corporation. 90% of the planes were the common GA types Pipers, Cessnas, Mooney’s, Bonanzas, but it may surprise you to learn many people flying King Airs, single engine turbo props, citation jets, and on one occasion a citation X had no insurance at all. In some cases flying there jets after loosing their medical.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Since owning my SportCruiser for 5 years now I've hangared at 4 different airports (2 while training) and only one REQUIRED proof of liability insurance (because of the airlines commercial traffic I think) the other 3 didn't ask or even care. It's really hit and miss who has and who doesn't have insurance. It's not required unless you finance I assume.

My suggestion is that if you are going to fly without or "self insure" put the aircraft into a Montana or Delaware LLC for some protection and/or anonymity. (this is also a separate discussion)
drseti

Post by drseti »

I see this issue from two sides. My flight school aircraft is based at an airport owned and run by the city. Gov't absolutely requires proof of insurance (with said city indemnified and named as additional insured) to base an aircraft there. And, I'm a part owner of a private airport, where our basing agreement requires proof of insurance for any based aircraft (a requirement which gives me no choice but to require insurance of my hangar tennants).

From both sides of the street, liability insurance seems like a pretty good idea. (Hull insurance is another matter altogether.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Allow a non-flier to jump in, with a random thought. As I understand the limitations of flying an ultralite, you cannot fly over any congested area or in any controlled airspace. So, shopping mall buzzing is a no-no. Also, as I have heard, the 2-stroke motors, which many use, are notoriously unreliable, which would scare off any underwriter. I had previously researched the Aerolite 103, IMO a very nice ultralite. But here in the Puget Sound region, there is no uncongested area. In fact, it's nearly all controlled airspace. So, no-go. But good luck with your endeavor!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Welcome to 5 years ago.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:Welcome to 5 years ago.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with newcomers catching up on, and then reopening, old threads. They are why we keep an archive.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:There's absolutely nothing wrong with newcomers catching up on, and then reopening, old threads. They are why we keep an archive.
Thank goodness for those archives.
I find myself going back and referring to them often. Especially when they concern maintanence and recommended product information.
It's like having a thorough reference library at your fingertips.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

TimTaylor wrote:Welcome to 5 years ago.
Welcome back!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Wm.Ince wrote:
drseti wrote:There's absolutely nothing wrong with newcomers catching up on, and then reopening, old threads. They are why we keep an archive.
Thank goodness for those archives.
I find myself going back and referring to them often. Especially when they concern maintanence and recommended product information.
It's like having a thorough reference library at your fingertips.
It is even better now since post can't be deleted after a short period.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

HAPPYDAN wrote:Allow a non-flier to jump in, with a random thought. As I understand the limitations of flying an ultralite, you cannot fly over any congested area or in any controlled airspace. So, shopping mall buzzing is a no-no. Also, as I have heard, the 2-stroke motors, which many use, are notoriously unreliable, which would scare off any underwriter. I had previously researched the Aerolite 103, IMO a very nice ultralite. But here in the Puget Sound region, there is no uncongested area. In fact, it's nearly all controlled airspace. So, no-go. But good luck with your endeavor!
Might surprise you but what you sre calling ‘congested area’ and controlled airspace is far more ultralight friendly than you think.

Many places the controlled airspace doesn’t start until 700 to 1200 AGL. Even if you need to operate under Class B or C airspace, you can get a letter of understanding from the controlling agency to do so.

Congested area gets more interesting as the FAA has never defined it! It’s definition seems to be based on how bad they want to get you.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

As a renter the FBO either charges me 5.00 extra per hour or I provide proof of insurance. I carry liability and hull to the tune of over 1K/yr in premiums. That's a fair bit of cash, but when a new Cessna 172 costs 300K+ and the plane is rented regularly costs can add up even under the best of accident scenarios. You also have to consider lawyer fees because in this day and age, even if it's not your "fault" someone is getting sued, best to be covered and never need it than need it and not have it....
Ed