would you fly w/out insurance?

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

busted

would you fly w/out insurance?

Postby busted » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 pm

I guess this question wouldn't be for Bob, anyway, Just looking at the quicksilver at uflyit in Florida. In the FAQ section the last one is "Can I get insurance for my ultralight?" answere is.... "At this time we don't know of any U.S. companies that will insure your aircraft"
Not haveing any hull insurance I could live with, but not any liability for for crashing into a mall? Just wondering how many fly with out it. thank you. Also, the quicksilver dealer that I took a demo ride in said he didn't have insurance on any of his a/c.
Kinda weird if you think about it in that he didn't even ask that I sign a waiver or something. thank you

busted

Re: would you fly w/out insurance?

Postby busted » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Gosh, I really want to fly floats (amphips) and that might be my only option. Can an airport keep you out if they find out you don't have insurance?

drseti

Postby drseti » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:46 am

Airports and FBOs routinely require their renter pilots, based aircraft, and hangar tenants to have some sort of insurance. But I have never heard of one requiring insurance of itinerant pilots, or even having a way of knowing whether you have any. A public use airport is open to the public, and many choose to self-insure. (Whether or not this is wise is a separate discussion.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof. H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC, iRMT
AvSport of Lock Haven
fly@AvSport.org
http://AvSport.org
http://facebook.com/SportFlying

CTLSi

Postby CTLSi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:34 am

Return to “Ask The Insurance Agent”