Who Can Fly Your LSA?

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

jnmeade

Who Can Fly Your LSA?

Post by jnmeade »

I pay $1406/annual for 100k/1,000K and $90k hull.
To fly my plane, you must be a private pilot. I challenged that and my company said an SP could fly it as named insured. Fill out a flight history.
My agent said another company would write me for $1620 and would let SP fly as long as they had 500 hours and 10 hours make & model.
My friend's policy says an SP can fly if they have a number (I think it is 300 hours) and 5 hours make and model.

My question is what kind of restrictions are you seeing on your policy in regard to other pilots.

So, I asked the agent, "if I'm in the air in my airplane and allow a SP or a non-pilot to fly and they cause an accident, am I covered?" He siad, "no!". We're nto talking about letting someone else take the plane while I'm on vacation, we're talking about a fellow pilot up in the air with me on the same flight.

Now, I know all about the don't ask don't tell part - that is not the point.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

All 3 of those policies you describe are consistent with what I found when shopping for a policy 7 months ago. You can accept policy language that has a 'named pilot' category, in which case the Underwriter is reviewing that pilots qualifications and setting specific add'l requirements for that pilot to fly your a/c. And/or you can accept language that is 'broader' in the sense that coverage is provided to a pilot OTHER than a named pilot - generic coverage, if you will - provided certain requirements of the Underwriter are met by all of those unnamed pilots who use your a/c. You can be in town or out of town, that would make no difference.

FWIW - I fly a Part 23 Grumman, so this isn't directly related to the LSA a/c - I shopped carrier reputation first, then language and broker, and my policy offers both 'name pilot' and unnamed pilot coverage, but with somewhat higher minimums for the unnamed category simply because there is no upfront review by the Underwriter. The policy premium for this 'two types of pilot' coverage was competitive (same cost) with the other quotes I received, and lower than some.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Re: Who Can Fly Your LSA?

Post by drseti »

jnmeade wrote:My question is what kind of restrictions are you seeing on your policy in regard to other pilots.
My policy (through EAA/Falcon) is quite generous in this regard. Any pilot (PP, SP, student pilot) that I authorize to fly it is covered, with a $1000 deductible. But mine is a flight school/commercial policy, and I pay dearly for that flexibility, as compared to an individual owner policy. My premium started out over $5k, has come down a little each year, and is now around $4600.

I'm also a named insured on a student's Ercoupe, because his insurance doesn't have a CFI open pilot clause!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

drseti wrote:
jnmeade wrote:My question is what kind of restrictions are you seeing on your policy in regard to other pilots.
My policy (through EAA/Falcon) is quite generous in this regard. Any pilot (PP, SP, student pilot) that I authorize to fly it is covered, with a $1000 deductible. But mine is a flight school/commercial policy, and I pay dearly for that flexibility, as compared to an individual owner policy. My premium started out over $5k, has come down a little each year, and is now around $4600.

I'm also a named insured on a student's Ercoupe, because his insurance doesn't have a CFI open pilot clause!
Paul

If I set up business as a self-employed Sport Pilot CFI, will I need a full flight school/commercial policy? $5K a year is certainly expensive for a part-time self-employed instructor!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'm not Paul, but the answer is likely yes. If you insure the airplane and are using the airplane for a commercial operation, even if it is part time, the insurance company will likely rate it as commercial.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I am Paul, and unfortunately, I agree with Tom. If you give instruction and charge for it, you are a commercial operation and need commercial insurance.

One way to save a few bucks is to only give dual, and not let anyone else solo your plane. This is what Jack Brown's Seaplane Base does with its Cubs on floats. You can get instruction in them, and even get your seaplane rating in them (no solo time is required for a category/class add-on), but for insurance reasons, they won't rent you one, even after you have the rating.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:I am Paul, and unfortunately, I agree with Tom. If you give instruction and charge for it, you are a commercial operation and need commercial insurance.

One way to save a few bucks is to only give dual, and not let anyone else solo your plane. This is what Jack Brown's Seaplane Base does with its Cubs on floats. You can get instruction in them, and even get your seaplane rating in them (no solo time is required for a category/class add-on), but for insurance reasons, they won't rent you one, even after you have the rating.
Places that give tailwheel endorsements often do the same.
- Bruce
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

drseti wrote:I am Paul, and unfortunately, I agree with Tom. If you give instruction and charge for it, you are a commercial operation and need commercial insurance.

I had planned on renting out. Is this a significant increase in premiums?

What about the solo requirement during the sport pilot course?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Solo and rental will probably double your premium. You can maybe mitigate that somewhat by requiring your students to carry renters insurance.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

300 total and 5 in type is what my policy reads for unnamed pilots.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Mine is any pilot certificate, any total time, no minimum time in type, and my approval.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote:Mine is any pilot certificate, any total time, no minimum time in type, and my approval.
Wow, that's nice.

My AIG policy used to read any certificate, no minimum time, with 5hrs in type. It changed at my last renewal. There must have been some claims in the risk pool to precipitate that!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Andy, I have a commercial policy for my airplanes. In addition to what I stated above, I also have the authority to approve any instructor to give instruction in my planes.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote:Andy, I have a commercial policy for my airplanes. In addition to what I stated above, I also have the authority to approve any instructor to give instruction in my planes.
Ah. Totally different. Your policy is designed with student pilots in mind, clearly.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

Yes, Andy, and Tom and I pay accordingly. :(
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US