Accidental D&D Insurance for Pilots

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

srhalter58

Accidental D&D Insurance for Pilots

Post by srhalter58 »

I have a question about Accidental death Policies for Pilots. All of the accident reports the FAA files that I have read always put the blame directly on the Pilot. Unable to control plane to whatever issue has caused loss of control. The AOPA has direct policies for GA Pilots where others have a Pilot exclusion, but would these still payout if there was a crash and it is deemed the Pilots fault?
Thanks
drseti

Re: Accidental D&D Insurance for Pilots

Post by drseti »

srhalter58 wrote:All of the accident reports the FAA files that I have read always put the blame directly on the Pilot.
It's pretty much a given that, in any accident, regardless of the circumstances, either the FAA or the NTSB is going to find some way to say "pilot error." Insurance companies aren't generally fooled by these politically motivated findings of cause. There is often an exclusion or two during the first year a policy is issued, but the nature of the life insurance business model is that payouts are pretty much mandatory, and expected. After all, you will die at some point.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
srhalter58

Post by srhalter58 »

Die because you are a pilot or just die in general? ")
designrs

Post by designrs »

Pilots don't die... they just tango on!

: )