Purchasing(and insuring) a low-hour mid-90's engine/aircraft

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

pitfield

Purchasing(and insuring) a low-hour mid-90's engine/aircraft

Post by pitfield »

I'm considering the purchase of a low-hour kit plane. The kit was made in about 1994, but not completed until 2008. The Rotax engine has just a few hundred hours on it, but is past its 15-year TBO. The engine is running well and there is no reason to think the lengthy storage was harmful.
Question: does running an engine past its TBO time (but well below its original hourly threshold) screw up insurance coverage??
Thanks
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Don't know about the insurance. I think the only authoritative source of information would be the policy itself.

For your own piece of mind, you should at least see that all the 5 year time limit rubber parts are replaced. If the engine is a 912, you can find a list of them in the Line Maintenance Manual.
Rtrhead

Post by Rtrhead »

Unless the policy says so, I don't think it would be a problem. To be safe I would have your insurance agent "carefully" check with the underwiters, because some will probably have fine print about that, while others may not.