I need a non-owner's insurance policy....how do I do this?

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:12 am
Location: San Antonio, Tx

I need a non-owner's insurance policy....how do I do this?

Postby Doss79 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:03 am

Just took the sport pilot exam and passed it. Now I need to start training at the local airport. I want to train in a J3 Cub and I got one lined up with an instructor. I was told I needed to get a non-owner's insurance policy of around 40k.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to make this happen? Is it difficult to get insurance for a pilot with 0 hours that wants to start training in a tailwheel such as the cub?

Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:17 am
Location: eastern Connecticut

Postby CTflyer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:13 am

Hi Doss - here's a good first step:


Also, a good overview of how aircraft and liability insurance work:


Where are you taking your lessons? What do your instructor and the aircraft owner say about insurance needs? In many (not all) cases you're covered by the fbo's insurance until you fly solo.

Be sure to ask about subrogation. It can surprise you in the worst way possible, especially if you have assets to protect.


Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:30 pm

Postby Chuck » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:23 pm

You may want to also try the AOPA insurance agency; www.aopaia.com.

Return to “Ask The Insurance Agent”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests