would you fly w/out insurance?

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

MrMorden

Re: would you fly w/out insurance?

Post by MrMorden »

Jim Hardin wrote:
Congested area gets more interesting as the FAA has never defined it! It’s definition seems to be based on how bad they want to get you.
That's exactly right. A few years ago a guy in Texas got busted for overflying two houses set in a wilderness area with no other structures around. "Congested Area" my ass... If the FAA doesn't like what you are doing for whatever reason, and can't find any true reason to bust you, the congested area is their #2 tactic, right after "careless and reckless" (also undefined).
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well, I seem to recall a rule stating that you can’t get closer than 500 feet to any person/structure regardless of this is a congested area or not.
But ultimately yeah, you are right ... it is kind of like being accused of public disturbance of some kind - it is a Soviet style “will get you for something or other” type of law...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Yes the 500 foot rule always applies. I belive that MrMorden was citing an example of a pilot that was beyond the 500 feet but below the 1000 feet above any... But the FAA used the undefined ‘congested area’ rule to make his flight a violation.

I think every FSDO office has one, AH Inspector position. Luckily, most never fill it. :lol:

I had a seaplane student fly across a little uninhabited island one day. We cleared the trees by less than 50 feet but flew over a group of boaters on the other side. sweated that one for a while.
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I will not fly without insurance.