Club meeting

There's hundreds of flying clubs around the country that own and manage aircraft for their members. Aside from the camaraderie, clubs make flying more affordable.

Moderator: drseti

cimmaronjim

Club meeting

Post by cimmaronjim »

Desert Sport Flyers will be holding a meeting at our hangar at Ryan Field in Tucson AZ on Monday 3-19-18 at 2pm. Refer to the website for location details. All are welcome.

http://desertsportflyers.webs.com/
TimTaylor

Re: Club meeting

Post by TimTaylor »

You must be looking just for retirees.
Retired from flying.
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Not really, we intend an evening or weekend meeting later. We just have a few guys that want to check it out, and this is the best time for them.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

TimTaylor wrote:You must be looking just for retirees.
cimmaronjim wrote:Not really, we intend an evening or weekend meeting later. We just have a few guys that want to check it out, and this is the best time for them.
But the meeting is on a Monday at 2PM???

You have excluded almost everyone who works for a living :? I may be past 70 but I'm not sure I would want to be in a club that thinks that way.

I'm sure that isn't your intent, but that is the way it strikes me at first glance.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Only our bodies are past 70, Jim. Our minds are still young. When I wake up in the morning, I'm 23, immortal, and invulnerable. (Then I try to get out of bed.)
:?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Jim Hardin wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:You must be looking just for retirees.
cimmaronjim wrote:Not really, we intend an evening or weekend meeting later. We just have a few guys that want to check it out, and this is the best time for them.
But the meeting is on a Monday at 2PM???

You have excluded almost everyone who works for a living :? I may be past 70 but I'm not sure I would want to be in a club that thinks that way.

I'm sure that isn't your intent, but that is the way it strikes me at first glance.
There will be meetings at times conducive for those with day jobs. Our regular monthly meetings will likely be on Sunday. The founding members will all be there this time and a couple of prospective members. The people who have expressed serious interest so far requested a day time meeting and we wanted them to be able to check out the plane asap. I only announced it because I thought if we were going to have a couple of guys check it out we might as well let everyone know they are welcome to stop by too.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Maybe you will sometime open a branch in Atlanta.
Retired from flying.
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Club is formed and members are flying!! Memberships available. April meeting is Sunday 4-22 3pm at our Ryan Field hangar.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9872421 ... 1/?fref=nf
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

That's great.
Retired from flying.
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

We have 8 and soon 9 members whenever she is ready to go after having her baby. We cap at 15. One is an A and P IAA? as our maintenance officer. One is a CFI. We don't do primary training, but he can handle check rides, BFRs and endorsements.

Not a bad start for the first official week of existence.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

How did you fund the purchase of your first airplane?
Retired from flying.
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Tim, my father turned out to be the benefactor. He loves Ercoupes and used to own one. Last summer he approached me about a barn find Ercoupe in Missouri. We went there and trailered it back. I told him about my exploring ways to fill the vacuum of light sport flying options in our area, and eventually he decided that would be a good use for it. We found an A and P IAA who wanted to be in the club himself and my Dad financed the repairs. We got pretty lucky in that it turned out to be a solid plane.

Since then, we found another one in Kentucky and bought an experimental Stitts Playboy for a song, but we will likely sell the Playboy off, because there is too much question of whether we could fly it as Light Sport, so we will use the proceeds to restore the other Ercoupe. We still have a single place mini-max but that likely won't be part of the club, unless there is real interest.

I had hopes for the Playboy, because I really wanted a 2 place tail dragger in the club, but perhaps someday, we will come across a barn find T-Craft or something. We have gotten pretty good at hauling aircraft halfway across the country LOL.