CFI-S questions

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

CFI-S questions

Post by Hambone »

I’m a commercial instrument pilot, but no current physical, so flying as a sport pilot. I’m thinking of becoming a CFI-S.

Two questions:

1) Can a student who is given dual instruction by me use those hours if he wants to continue towards a private pilot rating?

2) Can I give instrument training in an IFR-equipped LSA? https://www.barnstormers.com/classified ... ainer.html

Thanks in anticipation!
3Dreaming

Re: CFI-S questions

Post by 3Dreaming »

The answer to question #1 is yes and no. You are only able to use the instruction time from a CFI-S for a private pilot rating if you first become a sport pilot.

For question #2, As a CFI-S you can only provide the instrument training required for solo cross country flight in an airplane with a Vh of greater than 87kts to a sport pilot student.
drseti

Re: CFI-S questions

Post by drseti »

What Tom says is correct, but to take it a step further:

Instruction received from a CFI-s can only be applied toward higher ratings if the standards for tasks required in the PTS or ACS for the higher rating are identical to the same tasks in the Sport Pilot PTS.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US