CFI-S Knowledge test prep

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

malexander

CFI-S Knowledge test prep

Post by malexander »

SO......I've passed the FOI written test (June 3, 2020). I'm studying the Gleim and Paul Hamilton test prep materials for the knowledge test. Any of you instructors out there care to share with me how long you actually had to study before taking the test.
I feel like I should be read-ier :) than I am at this point. OTOH, I'm 61 years old and still do a full time job.........sort of. :wink:
3Dreaming

Re: CFI-S Knowledge test prep

Post by 3Dreaming »

I was in my late 20's when I did mine. I read through the book for the FOI, and I had just completed the commercial knowledge test and turned around and took the CFI test. I watched the King videos for the commercial, and no other prep for the CFI. I scored around 80% with just watching the videos once through, and no additional studying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I started teaching in the public schools in 1973. When I went for my CFI rating, I already had a state-issued life teaching credential, so I was exempt from the FOI knowledge test. I took it anyway, just for the hell of it (also without studying), and after several years of teaching, found it quite trivial.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TDFlyer

Post by TDFlyer »

I did the FOI first like you, and then I spent a few months studying for the AGI and CFI-S at the same time.

The remainder of this post is copy/pasted from my talk I gave at Oshkosh about prepping for the CFI-S exams:

To study for the written exams, I mainly used the ASA Instructor test prep book for the actual learning of the material and practicing the problems. To assess my progress, I did countless Study Sessions with the ASA Prepware online software; I was regularly cranking out short study sessions of 10 to 50 questions on my iPad, sometimes up to 25 times....A WEEK. I made a point to not just memorize answers, and to always do the work and really understand the material.

I would generally study one topic at a time until my practice quizzes were in the high 90s before moving on to the next topic. Once I got thru all the topics, then I started taking timed practice tests which covered all topics like the actual exam, and continued to work on any weak areas that might pop up.

Once I was scoring in the high 90s on my practice tests, I took the FOI exam and got a 94. As someone whose early attempts at college did not ...um..go all that well, I was really pleased. It turns out I can concentrate and study better...as I get older

With my newfound confidence, I spent the next 2 months studying hard for the sport pilot flight instructor exam. As a test run, I took the 100-question FAA Advanced Ground Instructor exam first, and then a week later I took the Sport Instructor exam...and got another 94.

At the bottom of the test results are a list of subject codes of any questions I missed. My CFI had to review those subjects with me before I could take the practical test

Since I was on a roll with my written tests, I also took the FAA drone pilot test, just for the heck of it.

The AGI is not required, as the sport pilot flight instructor certificate allows you to teach sport pilot ground classes, but I really suggest you get it anyway, and more importantly, at the same time, while everything is still fresh in your head.

Because it draws from the exact same question bank as the flight instructor exam you are already learning, the extra studying is minimal. The 100-question AGI test will have a few additional questions about helicopters, gliders, balloons, and VOR navigation. The AGI allows you to teach ground instruction (except for instrument stuff) to ANY pilot, not just sport pilots.

You turn in your FOI test results when you get an AGI, so if you later take a flight instructor exam, you will use your AGI as proof of passing the FOI. Your written exam results are valid for 2 years, but an AGI never expires, so you can use it to essentially lock in your FOI test results indefinitely. Just do it. I have already made money with my AGI, doing private tutoring. Plus, it’s another certificate on your resume, which can never hurt. You don't need an instructor endorsement to take the AGI tests. You don't even need a pilot's license!
malexander

Post by malexander »

TDFlyer wrote:I did the FOI first like you, and then I spent a few months studying for the AGI and CFI-S at the same time.

The remainder of this post is copy/pasted from my talk I gave at Oshkosh about prepping for the CFI-S exams:

To study for the written exams, I mainly used the ASA Instructor test prep book for the actual learning of the material and practicing the problems. To assess my progress, I did countless Study Sessions with the ASA Prepware online software; I was regularly cranking out short study sessions of 10 to 50 questions on my iPad, sometimes up to 25 times....A WEEK. I made a point to not just memorize answers, and to always do the work and really understand the material.

I would generally study one topic at a time until my practice quizzes were in the high 90s before moving on to the next topic. Once I got thru all the topics, then I started taking timed practice tests which covered all topics like the actual exam, and continued to work on any weak areas that might pop up.

Once I was scoring in the high 90s on my practice tests, I took the FOI exam and got a 94. As someone whose early attempts at college did not ...um..go all that well, I was really pleased. It turns out I can concentrate and study better...as I get older

With my newfound confidence, I spent the next 2 months studying hard for the sport pilot flight instructor exam. As a test run, I took the 100-question FAA Advanced Ground Instructor exam first, and then a week later I took the Sport Instructor exam...and got another 94.

At the bottom of the test results are a list of subject codes of any questions I missed. My CFI had to review those subjects with me before I could take the practical test

Since I was on a roll with my written tests, I also took the FAA drone pilot test, just for the heck of it.

The AGI is not required, as the sport pilot flight instructor certificate allows you to teach sport pilot ground classes, but I really suggest you get it anyway, and more importantly, at the same time, while everything is still fresh in your head.

Because it draws from the exact same question bank as the flight instructor exam you are already learning, the extra studying is minimal. The 100-question AGI test will have a few additional questions about helicopters, gliders, balloons, and VOR navigation. The AGI allows you to teach ground instruction (except for instrument stuff) to ANY pilot, not just sport pilots.

You turn in your FOI test results when you get an AGI, so if you later take a flight instructor exam, you will use your AGI as proof of passing the FOI. Your written exam results are valid for 2 years, but an AGI never expires, so you can use it to essentially lock in your FOI test results indefinitely. Just do it. I have already made money with my AGI, doing private tutoring. Plus, it’s another certificate on your resume, which can never hurt. You don't need an instructor endorsement to take the AGI tests. You don't even need a pilot's license!

I NEVER did really know how to study for tests in high school.
These are GREAT tips, especially the one about one topic at a time.
Thanks.