Emergency Descent

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: Emergency Descent

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote: I an see using the turn to add drag and increase the descent rate...but now you are at relatively low speed in a 2g bank, and risking an accelerated stall...
Simple geometry shows that a 60° bank results in 2 g’s and about a 40% increase install speed.

But that’s only when maintaining altitude. In this exercise, we’re allowing the nose to fall, which unloads the wings, which can result in not much more than 1g, and hence little or no increase in stall speed. So, with the speed near the maximum for the flaps selected, stalling should not be a major threat.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote: But that’s only when maintaining altitude. In this exercise, we’re allowing the nose to fall, which unloads the wings, which can result in not much more than 1g, and hence little or no increase in stall speed. So, with the speed near the maximum for the flaps selected, stalling should not be a major threat.
Bingo! In fact, as you descend, you're loading the wing at less than 1g. And the speed I selected for my plane is halfway between stall speed and max flap speed, so you have plenty of wiggle room in both directions, and don't have to be staring at the airspeed indicator.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Just a reminder about Load Factor.

Many LSA's have their Load Factor cut in half once you add flaps. That should be a consideration depending on the conditions at the time.