Himax

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

Firsttimefly9999

Himax

Post by Firsttimefly9999 »

Hi I just bought a himax 1400 z with brand new unfired 45 horse zenoha engin and everything to compleat it.do any of you guys no this plane and moter that are willing to help out a new pilot
Jim Hardin

Re: Himax

Post by Jim Hardin »

I don't know anything about the aircraft... Looked up some information on wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Mini-Max_Hi-MAX

Only thing that grabbed me was the low aspect ratio. Cord wasn't specified but the wing is short at 25 feet. That translate into a lot of drag as the angle of attack increases. That means if you start your landing round out/flare high, drag will increase rapidly and without action, sink will increase dramatically.

It fits the LSA category so a Sport Pilot license is the minimum needed to fly it.

Tell us about yourself. Pilot Certificate, hours, taildragger time, overall experience and intended operations. I'm still a little reluctant to put faith in a 2 stroke engine but I don't have any experience to justify that :D (uninformed prejudice)
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

That's an interesting looking aircraft. Is that single place? Did you build it yourself? Good luck and have fun!
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

The designer was Wayne Ison, who died in 2014 at age 90. He was an EAA Ultralight Hall of Fame inductee and founder of Tennessee Engineering And Manufacturing, Inc., better known as TEAM.
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and ... asses-away

The Hi-Max 1400Z kit is no longer in production. The current Hi-Max (Hi is for high wing) kit is the Hi-Max 1700R with a 40 hp Rotax 447.

The Hi-Max 1400Z was originally designed to meet Part 103 weight requirements using the Rotax 277 28 hp engine, but the disappointing performance with that engine caused the company to use the heavier 45 hp Zenoah G-50, and it no longer met the Part 103 weight requirements. So, Jim is right; it can be built as an LSA which requires at least an FAA Sport Pilot airman certificate to fly it.

The current TEAM website is at https://www.teammini-max.com/.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Scooper wrote:The designer was Wayne Ison, who died in 2014 at age 90. He was an EAA Ultralight Hall of Fame inductee and founder of Tennessee Engineering And Manufacturing, Inc., better known as TEAM.
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and ... asses-away

The Hi-Max 1400Z kit is no longer in production. The current Hi-Max (Hi is for high wing) kit is the Hi-Max 1700R with a 40 hp Rotax 447.

The Hi-Max 1400Z was originally designed to meet Part 103 weight requirements using the Rotax 277 28 hp engine, but the disappointing performance with that engine caused the company to use the heavier 45 hp Zenoah G-50, and it no longer met the Part 103 weight requirements. So, Jim is right; it can be built as an LSA which requires at least an FAA Sport Pilot airman certificate to fly it.

The current TEAM website is at https://www.teammini-max.com/.
Wow, I'm impressed Stan, is your middle name Wikipedia? Thanks for the history lesson and information. I always wonder how some airplanes get their start and where they came from. A great accomplishment for Wayne as well.
Firsttimefly9999

Thank you all for the helpful info.the plain I bought is 95% compleat with the 45 horse zenoha unfired and duel 5 gal gas tanks.how is zenoha moters or should I replace it with something more reliable my goal is to build a Kitfox s7 sti in the future so don’t want to put a lot of money in the himax.but want to fly.while building my Kitfox.also avionics I want a touch screen iPad or garmin any suggestions.i am compleatly new to this trying to soak up as much info as I can.thank you
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Since your goal is to build a Kitfox, I'd stick with the Zenoah for the Hi-Max since it's just a way to get flying while building the Kitfox. It's a decent engine.

For a GPS, I'd consider a Garmin Aera 660 touch screen. That's what I have, and I love it.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

ShawnM wrote:Wow, I'm impressed Stan, is your middle name Wikipedia? Thanks for the history lesson and information. I always wonder how some airplanes get their start and where they came from. A great accomplishment for Wayne as well.
Don't be impressed, Shawn. I am an unrepentant packrat with a rather large collection of aviation/aerospace reference books accumulated over the past 50 years, and remembered I had a copy of US Aviator's 1995 Sport Plane Resource Guide by Jim Campbell of Aero News Network fame. It's a massive 737 page paperback, and has a very informative section on ultralights. The book's forward is by Tom Poberezny. There's a good write-up on all of the mid-nineties TEAM aircraft, including the Hi-Max 1400Z. One of the things I learned is that the airframe of the 1400Z is virtually the same as the 1700R, the difference being the engine (Z=Zenoah G-50, R=Rotax 447).

I'd post a scan of the write-up, but don't want to get into copyright infringement trouble. :wink:
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

The Zenoah G-50 engines are out of production, but parts are apparently available from the Zenoah distributor, Tennessee Propellers, Inc.

http://www.tn-prop.com/G50.html
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Firsttimefly9999 wrote:Thank you all for the helpful info.the plain I bought is 95% compleat with the 45 horse zenoha unfired and duel 5 gal gas tanks.how is zenoha moters or should I replace it with something more reliable my goal is to build a Kitfox s7 sti in the future so don’t want to put a lot of money in the himax.but want to fly.while building my Kitfox.also avionics I want a touch screen iPad or garmin any suggestions.i am compleatly new to this trying to soak up as much info as I can.thank you
Just remember that the Himax is not an ultralight. It will need to be registered as an experimental amateur built. You will need to have at least a sport pilot certificate to legally fly it. Get some training, and approach flying it with caution.

Several years back I remember a couple brothers coming to the airport with one of these. They rented a hangar to assemble it. As they started testing the airplane they crashed it on the runway. They took it apart, and hauled it off. I never saw them again.
Firsttimefly9999

Would it be safer to sell the Himax and start with the Kitfox?I’m working on getting my license.i started looking at the zenith stol ch 701 they are cheaper than the Kitfox but how much will the trike style landing gear prohibit your bush landing capabilities? I live in the mountains of mt and mostly will be flying in the mountains?
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Firsttimefly9999 wrote:Would it be safer to sell the Himax and start with the Kitfox?I’m working on getting my license.i started looking at the zenith stol ch 701 they are cheaper than the Kitfox but how much will the trike style landing gear prohibit your bush landing capabilities? I live in the mountains of mt and mostly will be flying in the mountains?
If you're in Montana and will be doing a lot of back country flying, I suspect you would be disappointed in the performance of the Hi-Max.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the ability of the STOL CH701 tricycle gear being tough enough to handle back country landings; that's what they're designed for. However, if you're set on conventional gear, there are a number of STOL CH701 taildraggers in the fleet.

Personally, I'd choose the 701 over a Kitfox. I took a test flight in a Kitfox and felt very cramped. There was no way I could stretch my legs, and after a half hour my knees were hurting (I'm 6' tall with 35.5" legs, so nearly half of my height is in my legs). If you're not too long legged, the Kitfox my work for you.

The above comments are just my opinion (worth about two cents).
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Firsttimefly9999

Thanks the more I reasurch the more i think the 701.any thoughts on build difficulties one versus the other I’ve looked it up but thears not much other than thear both easy.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Firsttimefly9999 wrote:Thanks the more I reasurch the more i think the 701.any thoughts on build difficulties one versus the other I’ve looked it up but thears not much other than thear both easy.
The Kitfox uses welded chromoly steel tubing construction with fabric covering, while the 701 is blind riveted sheet aluminum construction. Construction difficulty and the time it will take to have a flying airplane will depend on which type of kit you get (basically a bare bones kit or quick build). A quick build kit is easier and faster to complete, but costs more.

I have built significant portions of a Zenith 601XL which uses the same blind riveted sheet aluminum construction as the 701, and found it was very easy to become proficient with the techniques. I've never tried building a steel tube/fabric covered airplane, so can't comment on ease of one method compared to the other.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Scooper wrote: I have built significant portions of a Zenith 601XL which uses the same blind riveted sheet aluminum construction as the 701, and found it was very easy to become proficient with the techniques. I've never tried building a steel tube/fabric covered airplane, so can't comment on ease of one method compared to the other.
I have never built either :D I think welding comes down to your ability and confidence in your welds... I happen to be pretty good at 'painting with a puddle', so welding appeals to me. I have also bucked and pulled a few rivets so either method has its' appeal. Never covered anything so that is new ground either way.

I think the real dilemma that Firsttimefly has to consider is is how much time his is willing to put into a step up project? The experience of finishing the Himax could make starting the next one look like a real obstacle. On the other hand, the Himax is NOW. Being a new pilot he can gain a lot of precious learning with the Himax...

But I would keep with the engine you have. Don't monkey with the plans at this point. Consult the FAA about the project and finish it up right away. At that point you will have a much better feel for what you want to do after that.

And please keep us updated as you go along!