All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

mhaleem
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:38 pm

All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby mhaleem » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:15 am

I think I've read this correctly from the Federal Register dated June 27, 2018: (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Allows all training received from a sport pilot instructor to be cred- ited towards a higher certificate or rating.

This is good news right!!!???
Tuskegee U Alum

chicagorandy
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby chicagorandy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 am

If true it would make sense. It's not like SP or PP CFIs are teaching how to fly in different air.

mhaleem
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby mhaleem » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 am

Lol. Yeah that definitely true
Tuskegee U Alum

Type47
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby Type47 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 am

If true, this will be huge.
I would think that sport cfi’s will be much more likely to stay around as instructors rather than being time builders toward commercial.
Now with the ability to buy used 10 year old LSAs for reasonable prices, maybe there will be increased availability in more markets for instruction.
Type47
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
I’m not a singing grampa.

User avatar
Hambone
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby Hambone » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 pm

So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?

comperini
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:37 am
Location: California

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby comperini » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Here's a link: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/06/27/2018-12800/regulatory-relief-aviation-training-devices-pilot-certification-training-and-pilot-schools-and-other

I find it interesting (and sad) that so FEW people even bothered to respond to these NPRMs. Our voice can matter.

There was one commenter that was against allowing sport pilot instruction time to count. The commenter was basically bashing the skills and ability of sport pilot instructors. The FAAs response to this commenter was good... basically "you're wrong".
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com

comperini
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:37 am
Location: California

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby comperini » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Hambone wrote:So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?


Reading the timeline, when changes to 61.109 take effect, it would appear that the rule goes into effect August 27, 2018.

I didn't see anything saying "only time logged after that date counts", so I assume all time counts, regardless of when it was logged?
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com

Warmi
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby Warmi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:54 pm

comperini wrote:
Hambone wrote:So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?


Reading the timeline, when changes to 61.109 take effect, it would appear that the rule goes into effect August 27, 2018.

I didn't see anything saying "only time logged after that date counts", so I assume all time counts, regardless of when it was logged?


Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

TimTaylor
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby TimTaylor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Warmi wrote:
comperini wrote:
Hambone wrote:So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?


Reading the timeline, when changes to 61.109 take effect, it would appear that the rule goes into effect August 27, 2018.

I didn't see anything saying "only time logged after that date counts", so I assume all time counts, regardless of when it was logged?


Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...

Enough already of your right wing bs.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

User avatar
FastEddieB
Posts: 2494
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby FastEddieB » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
FastEddieB@mac.com

TimTaylor
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby TimTaylor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:08 pm

FastEddieB wrote:Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?

You well know that's a right-wing point of view.

"We're going to shrink the federal government until it's so small we can drown it in the bathtub."

This Warmi guy can't make a post without adding such a reference. If he can make the comment, I can respond.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

Wm.Ince
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby Wm.Ince » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:19 pm

TimTaylor wrote:
Warmi wrote:Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...

Enough already of your right wing bs.
Attachments
E2A7068A-4E66-4C7E-B86C-38B0033CAAF3.gif
E2A7068A-4E66-4C7E-B86C-38B0033CAAF3.gif (240.71 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Bill Ince
CTSW
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator

TimTaylor
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby TimTaylor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:26 pm

Delete.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

3Dreaming
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby 3Dreaming » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:33 pm

TimTaylor wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?

You well know that's a right-wing point of view.

"We're going to shrink the federal government until it's so small we can drown it in the bathtub."

This Warmi guy can't make a post without adding such a reference. If he can make the comment, I can respond.


I think most of the people I know within the FAA are Right Wingers as you call them, but having dealt with them for most of my adult life it certainly is a bureaucracy that lacks common sense at times.

TimTaylor
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Postby TimTaylor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:39 pm

Delete.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument


Return to “Instructors' Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests