Best Sport Pilot "system" for the new student?

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Best Sport Pilot "system" for the new student?

Post by Hambone »

I'm working towards my CFI-S. At present, I'm planning on using the Gleim Sport Pilot system for my students. However, there seem to be other self-paced training systems out there that utilize video, animations, and computer interactivity to enhance the learning process. That seems better to me.

Which "system" are you using, and why? I envision primary teaching older students, so understanding and retention of knowledge may be a little more challenging.

Thanks!
Last edited by Hambone on Sun May 06, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Type47

Re: Best Sport Pilot "system" for the new student?

Post by Type47 »

I used the ipad based private pilot training from passfaaexams.com.
Loved it.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks!

I'm interested in a more comprehensive training system right through to the license, rather than solely to pass the FAA exam.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

I'm working with Gleim and it fits my needs just fine.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
drseti

Post by drseti »

I use the Gleim kit, but I supplement it with videos (of my own EAA Webinars, one keyed to each lesson), as well as weekly worksheets I've developed over the years.. My goal is depth of understanding, with application to actual inflight activities - NOT merely passing a knowledge test or checkride.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

I wasn't clear on my initial post. The system I'm looking for will be for my Sport Pilot students, not for my own instructor training. I'm OK with the Gleim system for my instructor training.

But for a potential new student, I find the Gleim system, being primarily old-school book-based, to be dry and uninspiring.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hambone wrote: for a potential new student, I find the Gleim system, being primarily old-school book-based, to be dry and uninspiring.
Yes, it's dry. It's also very complete and thorough. But, more important, most of my students are older, and from the textbook generation (as opposed to the MTV generation). This is how they were taught in high school and college. This is how they are accustomed to studying - no glitz, just content. My supplemental videos and worksheets spice things up enough to keep my students from getting bored.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Hambone wrote:Thanks!

I'm interested in a more comprehensive training system right through to the license, rather than solely to pass the FAA exam.
That is exactly what this is.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I also agree with Paul, the Gleim system is dry but complete and thorough. I know it to be "no frills" and boring but it's precise and to the point. I used it from my first day until I got my license. Got a 93 on the written and passed my one and only checkride.

I didn't buy the "kit" just the Gleim sport pilot faa knowledge test, sport pilot maneuvers and the Gleim FAR/AIM. I already had a logbook and didn't need the bag or that ancient E6B that no one uses anymore. :mrgreen:

A bonus is the "online test prep" as you can study and take mock tests online. It has every FAA question and will randomly generate sample tests for the student. For a new student starting out I think the Gleim kit is also the best study material going.

I was also biased towards Gleim since they were in the same city, they are based in Gainesville, Florida. I actually drove over to their offices and picked up my books. They were about 10 minutes from my house.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Great info everyone. Thanks!

I'll stick with Gleim, and supplement with videos.

I'm also intending on incorporating the Gleim X-Plane Flight Training Course https://www.gleimaviation.com/xplane/ into the Gleim syllabus. To that end, I've put together a 3-screen simulator in my office. Although simulation is obviously more beneficial for instrument/airline/military etc training, I think it has utility in sport pilot training, too. WIth a bit of parameter tweaking, I have managed to get the supplied C172 to mimic the performance and handling of my CT.

Would be interested to hear if others using simulation to teach sport flying!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hambone wrote:Would be interested to hear if others using simulation to teach sport flying!
I use the Redbird Jay simulator. It runs the Lockheed Prepar3d software (a bit more sophisticated than either X-plane or MS FlightSim), but is still compatible with the aftermarket Flight Sim models of different aircraft. I bought an Evektor SportStar model for about twelve bucks online, and it replicates my trainer's characteristics pretty well. The textbook "Microsoft Flight Simulator X for Pilots: Real World Training", by Jeff Van West and Kevin Lane-Cummings, contains scenarios that can be loaded into the Jay, and will run under Prepar3d.

Here's a link to my simulation page for further info:

http://avsport.org/simulate
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

More great info, Paul.

Thanks!
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I used the Sporty's online course and did just fine the test. But, I have also heard many pilots provide positive feedback for the Gleim pilot training program as well.

Good luck!

Izzy
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Izzy wrote:I used the Sporty's online course and did just fine the test. But, I have also heard many pilots provide positive feedback for the Gleim pilot training program as well.

Good luck!

Izzy
+1 for the online Sporty's course. For one price, you get comprehensive training for Sport, Recreation, and Private. The lessons are updated periodically, so once you buy in it's good for a lifetime. You can take as many practice tests as you like, and you get a printed endorsement for the knowledge test.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

The Sporty's system certainly looks more comprehensive and less "dry" than Gleim. It seems more oriented towards learning to fly, rather than learning to pass a test.

I especially like the video tutorials.