Best Sport Pilot "system" for the new student?

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

WDD

Re: Best Sport Pilot "system" for the new student?

Post by WDD »

I used the Gleim book. I bought the kit because it was a great price, but thought the hat that was included a bit odd. Who would wear it? :?: I am making good use of the log book and bag.

While a lot was great about the Gleim book, some of it is outdated. Why teach the EB6 wheel computer? Nothing about the current apps. Nothing about glass instruments. A lot more good information than bad mind you, just needs updated. I'd still recommend it for students.

The book learning combined with the Gleim practice tests and some YouTube tutorials are a great combination.

I wonder about learning everything from video. Reading and doing exercises I think makes things stick a lot more because of the thinking process you have to go through vs more passive video.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

WDD wrote:I used the Gleim book. I bought the kit because it was a great price, but thought the hat that was included a bit odd. Who would wear it? :?: I am making good use of the log book and bag.

While a lot was great about the Gleim book, some of it is outdated. Why teach the EB6 wheel computer? Nothing about the current apps. Nothing about glass instruments. A lot more good information than bad mind you, just needs updated. I'd still recommend it for students.

The book learning combined with the Gleim practice tests and some YouTube tutorials are a great combination.

I wonder about learning everything from video. Reading and doing exercises I think makes things stick a lot more because of the thinking process you have to go through vs more passive video.
Completely agree on the EB6 but ultimately, a lot of DPEs still consider EB6 tool ( as opposed to principles ) knowledge to be essential.
It doesn't take that much time to master it even though it seems silly - I never had to use that knowledge on any of my tests anyway - on the written exam, one can easily answer fuel/distance related questions just by approximating and on the practical test my DPE just told me " fly your cross-country as you would normally be flying without me being here " so I did :-) ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

WDD wrote: thought the hat that was included a bit odd. Who would wear it?
Ever fly a low-wing LSA in the summertime under a bubble canopy?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
WDD

Post by WDD »

drseti wrote:
WDD wrote: thought the hat that was included a bit odd. Who would wear it?
Ever fly a low-wing LSA in the summertime under a bubble canopy?
Not opposed to wearing a hat - just a black hat with "GLEIM" on the front.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Don't mind advertising for them. But, I do admit that a black hat kinda defeats the whole idea of staying cool under the canopy.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

WDD wrote:I used the Gleim book. I bought the kit because it was a great price, but thought the hat that was included a bit odd. Who would wear it? :?: I am making good use of the log book and bag.

The Gleim books do have some limited info on "glass instruments". I haven't checked the latest revision but in mine in the first few pages of the "Sport Pilot Maneuvers" book they show a legacy Dynon D-100 and talk about EFIS and what information is shown on the EFIS. It also shows a panel out of what looks like a CT. Could there be more, of course, but there is "some" and hopefully more in the future.

It really is a great system for sport pilots in my opinion. Short, sweet and to the point to get you past the exam. You can easily learn more as you go and there's a lot more to read and be knowledgeable on but the course works as designed.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Most glass panels replicate analog instruments functionality using slightly different presentation but remain very much readable to anyone who is familiar with analog gauges. To me it seems it is more matter of preference rather than folks not understanding where to find airspeed or altimeter on their new shiny EFIS.

In other words switching to a glass panel is rather easy if you just consider basics - it gets little more complicated when you throw in moving maps , navigation but still , very intuitive- imho doesn’t need special mention in prep materials - just use the manual.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

My EAA Webinar "Gauges to Glass" might help with the transition. See:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/5506222259001
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote:Most glass panels replicate analog instruments functionality using slightly different presentation but remain very much readable to anyone who is familiar with analog gauges. To me it seems it is more matter of preference rather than folks not understanding where to find airspeed or altimeter on their new shiny EFIS.

In other words switching to a glass panel is rather easy if you just consider basics - it gets little more complicated when you throw in moving maps , navigation but still , very intuitive- imho doesn’t need special mention in prep materials - just use the manual.
I agree.
Retired from flying.