Need a Taylorcraft CFI (or at lease a tailwheel CFI)

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

azsportpilot

Need a Taylorcraft CFI (or at lease a tailwheel CFI)

Post by azsportpilot »

Hello

Sport Pilot CFI here with an interesting situation

I'm in Hattiesburg MS

The Student/Buyer is in Paris TN KPHT

His new plane (a Taylorcraft) in Peru Illinois KVYS

The student is a Commercial Helicopter pilot with over 1,000 hours, 99% of it in rotorcraft

I flew with him for 5 hours in my Aeronca and he is a fast learner, but will need several more hours before he is ready, also the insurance company is requiring 10 hours in make and model

He will need a CFI who can pick up the plane at KVYS and ferry it the 303 miles to KPHT, then give him at least 10 hours of Dual to get him ready to ride with a 2nd CFI for fixed wing LSA signoff

any recommendations?
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

-Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!
3Dreaming

Re: Need a Taylorcraft CFI (or at lease a tailwheel CFI)

Post by 3Dreaming »

Did he buy George's airplane? I am an experienced Taylorcraft CFI and mechanic. I am located in Southeastern Illinois, so I could at least get it closer to home for him. Going to his place to do the training would be tough for me, but I would be happy to do it here.
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

doing the training there prior to ferrying the plane to TN would work, buyer is retired and has an open schedule and can travel

not sure who owns the plane he bought but i understand its a show stopping beauty
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

-Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I did part of my CFI check ride in a Taylorcraft 27 years ago. I have about 1000 hours of Taylorcraft time, and probably 25-30 in the last 6 months. A good part of that recent time is instruction given. I manage the Olney-Noble Airport, you can look the number up and give me a call if you want.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I just noticed this thread, and as coincidence would have it, I may be interested in buying a 1946 Taylorcraft BC12D. Problem is, I don't have a license (to fly) and I don't know anything about this plane. It's located about 50 miles away, here in western Washington. Does anyone know of a CFI hereabouts that could advise me on the purchase, assist in bringing it home, and possibly provide the needed training? Or am I asking too much? Appropriate compensation is of course understood.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I doubt he would travel to WA, but in response to the OP, suffice it to say that if I were looking for T-Craft instruction, Tom would be my first choice (but only because Amelia Reid is deceased).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote:I just noticed this thread, and as coincidence would have it, I may be interested in buying a 1946 Taylorcraft BC12D. Problem is, I don't have a license (to fly) and I don't know anything about this plane. It's located about 50 miles away, here in western Washington. Does anyone know of a CFI hereabouts that could advise me on the purchase, assist in bringing it home, and possibly provide the needed training? Or am I asking too much? Appropriate compensation is of course understood.
I know there are Taylorcraft people out that way. I suggest you ask here, http://vb.taylorcraft.org/ , or here https://www.facebook.com/groups/571231992887131/ . You will need to join either group.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:I doubt he would travel to WA, but in response to the OP, suffice it to say that if I were looking for T-Craft instruction, Tom would be my first choice (but only because Amelia Reid is deceased).
For those who don't know, that is high praise right there.
saxdiva

Post by saxdiva »

HAPPYDAN wrote:I just noticed this thread, and as coincidence would have it, I may be interested in buying a 1946 Taylorcraft BC12D. Problem is, I don't have a license (to fly) and I don't know anything about this plane. It's located about 50 miles away, here in western Washington. Does anyone know of a CFI hereabouts that could advise me on the purchase, assist in bringing it home, and possibly provide the needed training? Or am I asking too much? Appropriate compensation is of course understood.
Cool. This is not a small undertaking... but sounds like a fun project.

I'm a partner in an upstart flight school in the L.A. area, which started as a couple tailwheel-obsessed friends armed with an Aeronca Chief. We're still small (a Super Decathlon and a few nosewheel trainers round out the fleet now), but we're Sport Pilot friendly and LOVE vintage taildraggers, so please get in touch if you can't find anyone closer.

Good luck and happy flying!
Leanne
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Thanks, Leanne. No, I sure haven't had any luck. There was a gentleman who ran a club here called the Gig Harbor Light Sport Club, he owned an Aeronca Chief and was a CFII with previous USAF experience. Well, unfortunately, he passed on just last year. Recently, I found a club on Vashon Island that has a J3 Cub that they're willing to train in. So I plan to check that out here soon. But I'll keep your kind offer in mind.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The J3 is a fun airplane to fly. I have lots of hours in one and got my seaplane rating in one.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:The J3 is a fun airplane to fly. I have lots of hours in one and got my seaplane rating in one.
The J3 is a fun airplane to fly. When I had mine I flew it about 125 hours in a year and a half. Though I will say in my opinion of the vintage 2 seat light airplanes I have flown the J3 was just about my least favorite. The J4 Cub Coupe is the least favorite, but I don't have much time in that one.
I have time in Champs, J3 and J4 Cubs, Luscombes, Cessna 140, and Taylorcrafts. They are all fun, but my favorite is the Taylorcraft.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I learned to fly and got my Private in a Tri-Champ. That was a fun plane too. It's not an LSA with the nose wheel.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:It's not an LSA with the nose wheel.
Exactly which LSA requirement did the Tri-Champ not satisfy?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:It's not an LSA with the nose wheel.
Exactly which LSA requirement did the Tri-Champ not satisfy?
Too heavy for one. Max gross weight of 1500 pounds.
Retired from flying.