Sport Pilot DPE shortage

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Sport Pilot DPE shortage

Post by 3Dreaming »

Warmi wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Not all CFI's are created equal. While some could do an objective and fair checkride, I would venture to say they are in the minority. I personally know of CFI's who would have no business doing a checkride. In the past I knew of a current CFI who had not flown for over 10 years. The local DPE has told me that there is an instructor that sends him applicants who has never had one pass on the first try. If he cant even prepare someone for a checkride, how could he perform a test?
Preparing somebody for a check-ride is much harder than doing the actual check-ride - testing is a fairly mechanical tasks with well defined and known variables while teaching takes skills and, frankly, quite a bit of talent.

The bottom line is that the current system is broken if it takes months to even get a check-ride scheduled so something needs to be done.
I agree that preparing someone is harder than accessing their ability. My point is, if they can't determine if someone has the skills to pass the checkride, then they don't have the ability so safely access if someone has the skills to be awarded their pilot certificate.

Fortunately I have not had any big issues in scheduling checkrides. I think the longest wait was about 3 weeks. That was because the examiner was on vacation, plus having a busy schedule.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Half Fast wrote: you might as well tip it over yourself at a time of your own choosing. :mrgreen:
Well, since I already altered my Spring term dates - twice - and there's a huge penalty to change my airline tickets, I'm not tipping over any apple carts today.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drseti wrote:
Half Fast wrote: you might as well tip it over yourself at a time of your own choosing. :mrgreen:
Well, since I already altered my Spring term dates - twice - and there's a huge penalty to change my airline tickets, I'm not tipping over any apple carts today.
Don’t forget in all this that you got the TBO webinar to run in March :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote: Don’t forget in all this that you got the TBO webinar to run in March :D
Oh, no problem! That's the second Wednesday night in March. I'll fit it in somehow.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I never knew, but I should have guessed, how hard it would be to simply get a chance to qualify as a DPE. It appears the government passed a long term spending bill so maybe no more shudowns for you, Paul. The flight school I used generally used one DPE, however, another was available if needed. Scheduling and weather were big factors in my issues, not necessarily DPE availability. I guess our area is lucky to have two DPE's in close proximity that can not only do PPL but also SPL testing and a school with good connections to both.

Paul, your perseverance is astounding! I hope everything goes well for you this time around.
Ed
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Here in southern Illinois I am happy to say we have a good examiner. He is a full time examiner, which helps with scheduling. He does sport pilot through CFI, single and multi engine. He is a true professional who gives a fair but proper checkride. We are lucky to have him.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

3Dreaming wrote:Here in southern Illinois I am happy to say we have a good examiner. He is a full time examiner, which helps with scheduling. He does sport pilot through CFI, single and multi engine. He is a true professional who gives a fair but proper checkride. We are lucky to have him.
Do you know Jim Leon from KIKK ? He is a sport dpe ,heavy maintenance rotax guy etc ... just curious if you know him by any chance ...
drseti

Post by drseti »

foresterpoole wrote: Paul, your perseverance is astounding! I hope everything goes well for you this time around.
Thanks for the kind thoughts, Ed. Fingers crossed!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Warmi wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Here in southern Illinois I am happy to say we have a good examiner. He is a full time examiner, which helps with scheduling. He does sport pilot through CFI, single and multi engine. He is a true professional who gives a fair but proper checkride. We are lucky to have him.
Do you know Jim Leon from KIKK ? He is a sport dpe ,heavy maintenance rotax guy etc ... just curious if you know him by any chance ...
I think I may have met him when I did my Rotax recurrent training a little over a year ago.
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

Knock 'em dead.
With your experience, it should be piece of cake.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks - but don't you know our government doesn't believe in cake?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

As you may recall, two months ago, while already enroute to Oklahoma City, I learned that my DPE course had been cancelled due to a government shutdown. Last week, while preparing for travel to attend the upcoming replacement course, it began to appear that the same thing was about to happen again. I am pleased now to report that Congress finally passed a budget bill, averting the threatened government shutdown. So, at zero dark thirty tomorrow morning, I'm off on the next leg of my ongoing saga. I'll keep you all posted from OKC.
Safe Skies,
Paul
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drseti wrote:As you may recall, two months ago, while already enroute to Oklahoma City, I learned that my DPE course had been cancelled due to a government shutdown. Last week, while preparing for travel to attend the upcoming replacement course, it began to appear that the same thing was about to happen again. I am pleased now to report that Congress finally passed a budget bill, averting the threatened government shutdown. So, at zero dark thirty tomorrow morning, I'm off on the next leg of my ongoing saga. I'll keep you all posted from OKC.
Safe Skies,
Paul
Indeed , they passed..... 1.3 trillion dollars to be precise - I think that should be enough to cover the DPE course heh....
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Warmi wrote:Indeed , they passed..... 1.3 trillion dollars to be precise - I think that should be enough to cover the DPE course heh....
Let's all pause a momemt . . . and thank our grandkids for their generosity. Their day of reckoning is coming.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

My only grandson just turned five a few days ago, Bill. I never realized how wealthy he is!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US