What will happen with the Sport CFI Rating

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

mhaleem

What will happen with the Sport CFI Rating

Post by mhaleem »

What do you guys "forecast" with the Sport CFI rating should you 3rd class medical be eliminated?
Tuskegee U Alum
3Dreaming

Re: What will happen with the Sport CFI Rating

Post by 3Dreaming »

I don't think you will see a big change. A sport CFI will still only provide training for a sport pilot.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

CTLSi wrote:Let's look at this realistically. If private pilot privileges are extended to DL medicals then there will be no real distinction or need for Sport Pilot certification. The 3 hour night flying dual is the only real major difference and if that's the only barrier to being able to fly over 1320lb gross weight and over 10k feet, student, and future pilots would be silly not to finish that part off.

For those who own and want to fly LSA aircraft nothing changes. I own a CTLSi and have PP SEL. I have no real interest in flying a Cessna, Piper or Cirrus. But betcha a lot of guys that lost their 3rd class and are now flying on a DL would quickly abandon LSA and get back into a 172 if allowed.

Do you really think a lot of pilots would moved from a modern LSA, to a much older, steam gauge 172? I guess it's possible, but I don't see it happening.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MovingOn wrote:
BrianL99 wrote:
CTLSi wrote:Let's look at this realistically. If private pilot privileges are extended to DL medicals then there will be no real distinction or need for Sport Pilot certification. The 3 hour night flying dual is the only real major difference and if that's the only barrier to being able to fly over 1320lb gross weight and over 10k feet, student, and future pilots would be silly not to finish that part off.

For those who own and want to fly LSA aircraft nothing changes. I own a CTLSi and have PP SEL. I have no real interest in flying a Cessna, Piper or Cirrus. But betcha a lot of guys that lost their 3rd class and are now flying on a DL would quickly abandon LSA and get back into a 172 if allowed.

Do you really think a lot of pilots would moved from a modern LSA, to a much older, steam gauge 172? I guess it's possible, but I don't see it happening.
I think the majority of pilots with Private or higher who are flying LSA because they don't have a medical will move back to Mooneys, Cessnas, and Pipers. Many of us are flying LSA only because we have to, not because we want to.
Please don't take this the wrong way coming from me, but based on the pilots I have talked with I think your opinion is in the minority.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MovingOn wrote:If that were the case, then why all the interest in eliminating the 3rd class medical? I believe most of the interest is from older guys who want to get back into their airplanes and fly.
I mostly agree with your above statement, but that wasn't what was said. I think the majority who have already made the switch will stay and not switch back to older airplanes. Most of the old guys you speak of did not make the switch to LSA.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:
MovingOn wrote:
CTLSi wrote:But betcha a lot of guys that lost their 3rd class and are now flying on a DL would quickly abandon LSA and get back into a 172 if allowed.
NOBODY who lost their 3rd class is now flying on a DL.
Splitting hairs. By 'lost 3rd class medical' we are talking about guys that KNOW they can't pass another AME exam and correctly avoid and go Sport Pilot. You are referring to the rule trap that says if you actually take and flunk the exam you cannot fly on a DL, and that is true, but who takes that chance? Someone who doesn't want to fly anymore?

Most of the sport pilots out there are guys that once had PP and above and are flying as sport pilots who would start to change back to used Cessnas in a heartbeat if they are allowed to. We are also talking about the steady stream of guys that are right now facing not being able to pass their NEXT exam, and will be settling into a sport pilot life.

If the rule gets changed, that stream of guys will not bother with sport pilot either. They will keep their PP and keep flying stuff they know and love. The 172s, 182s, and possibly the old twin engines if they also let them fly those.
There were a bunch of pilots who applied for a medical and didn't get it before sport pilot was an option. Back then there was no downside to taking the physical.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MovingOn wrote:
MovingOn wrote:
BrianL99 wrote:Do you really think a lot of pilots would moved from a modern LSA, to a much older, steam gauge 172? I guess it's possible, but I don't see it happening.
I think the majority of pilots with Private or higher who are flying LSA because they don't have a medical will move back to Mooneys, Cessnas, and Pipers. Many of us are flying LSA only because we have to, not because we want to.
I would not expect most who have purchased an LSA to go back.
I guess it depends on whether or not the majority of private pilots who are flying as sport pilots are owners, or if they are non owners like you.
Any way I think that most who are looking forward to the DL instead of a 3rd class medical do not really have anything to do with sport pilot, and yes they will continue to fly what they had before.