PPA and CFI-SPs

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

jjfjr

PPA and CFI-SPs

Post by jjfjr »

Hi;

I'm thinking of becoming a sport pilot CFI. If the pilot protection act that has recently been introduced in both houses of congress becomes law it will in part allow pilots to use a valid driver's license for "VFR operations only, at or below 14,000 feet MSL at speeds no faster than 250 knots in aircraft with no more than six seats and no more than 6,000 pounds gross takeoff weight."

If this does become law, what might happen to the light sport aspect of general aviation? Will it be worth it to continue to pursue a CFI-SP cert?

Thanks;

jjfjr
Nomore767

Re: PPA and CFI-SPs

Post by Nomore767 »

To me it depends on if any change to the 3rd class medical for PPLs is across the board or, as the FAA has indicated, affects only certain pilots in 'certain instances'.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nobody knows. It could end up just being a tiny loophole for a few pilots, or could eviscerate the 3rd class medical and render the Sport Pilot certificate irrelevant. We have to wait probably 6-12 months more at least to know what might happen. If I were you, I might wait on the CFI-SP rating if it's going to cost you any significant amount of time and money to pursue.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
mhaleem

Post by mhaleem »

I think you should move forward with pursuing the rating due to the following reasoning:

(1) Though many won't admit it, the cost of the sport pilot license is significantly less than the private pilot (you could market this fact hard to prospective students)
(2) It takes a shorter time to obtain the rating, which means one can become a pilot sooner (another marketing point)
(3) You avoid a lot of red tape and incur a much greater expense going the "regular cfi" route (FAA/FSDO checkride, having to obtain a private, instrument, commercial and cfi, which costs big dough!!!)
Tuskegee U Alum
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

mhaleem wrote:I think you should move forward with pursuing the rating due to the following reasoning:

(1) Though many won't admit it, the cost of the sport pilot license is significantly less than the private pilot (you could market this fact hard to prospective students)
(2) It takes a shorter time to obtain the rating, which means one can become a pilot sooner (another marketing point)
(3) You avoid a lot of red tape and incur a much greater expense going the "regular cfi" route (FAA/FSDO checkride, having to obtain a private, instrument, commercial and cfi, which costs big dough!!!)
I was going to suggest starting the process for these three reasons, plus
(4) The training you receive and things you learn, even if events down the road cause you to abandon the pursuit, will be beneficial to you anyway.
- Bruce
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

5) SP is both a destination and an entry point. Many pilots will find that SP privileges allow them to achieve all their flying goals while others may find they want to achieve higher ratings. The cost to transition to a PP is relatively small going this route and has the advantage of getting your rating quicker and cheaper.
dave
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

6) Learning to fly an LSA is a lot more FUN than flying an old Cessna truck.
Dave
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

JjfJr.... You didn't say where you're starting from. Are you already a PP? An SP? Just starting out?
- Bruce
David

Post by David »

deltafox wrote:6) Learning to fly an LSA is a lot more FUN than flying an old Cessna truck.
I second that! :D
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

You are going to need the FOI anyway, no matter what you do.

Might as well...
Frank
Fayetteville, NC