sport CFI requirements/ airplane

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

busted

sport CFI requirements/ airplane

Post by busted »

My CFI expired some time ago. I'm going to retire at age 60 and want to give introductory rides mostly for fun. If I can pay for insurance etc and brake even I would be happy. Two questions. what does it take to become a sport CFI? would I have to do the spin training again?

What would make a good SLSA airplane? Like to keep it around $80,000. I like the aerotreck 220 (taildragger) with the folding wings it would give it great exposure. Fold the wings and take it to the state park, When I went camping I was looking for something fun/different to do on vacation. Take it to the mall and pass out some simple fliers about how an "intro airplane lesson" would make a great birthday/ X-mas gift. any ideas? thanks
FlyingForFun

Re: sport CFI requirements/ airplane

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

No spin endorsement required under Subpart K.
I've been flying the AeroTrek 220 lately. Basically an SLSA Version of the old Avid Flyer design from 35 years ago, built in Slovakia and Rotax powered. Lots of fun. In fact, I had one in my hangar today for an annual inspection. But I wouldn't use it for primary instruction. Taildraggers cut your number of students in half, and double your insurance costs.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
busted

Post by busted »

I didn't know about the insurance being that high. How about giving tail wheel endorsements to make a couple of bucks? And I think I would like to put skies on in the winter.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul, spin training is required per 61.409 (m), but there would be no need to do it again.

Busted, if were a CFI before you don't need to become a Sport CFI, just study up and do a CFI reinstatement ride. You should be able to do that in a light sport airplane without a medical.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:Paul, spin training is required per 61.409 (m)
Ah, so it says, Tom. I stand corrected.

Which begs the question: how does a SP going for Subpart K CFI privileges accomplish this, since so few LSAs are spin authorized? I guess you could do it in an aerobatic-approved Sport Pilot Eligible certified aircraft, such as a J3 Cub (they make great spin trainers!)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Just like the airspace endorsement there is no requirement that it be done in a Light Sport.
I would also point out that the J3 Cub is a Light Sport Aircraft, because it meets the CFR 1.1 definition.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:the J3 Cub is a Light Sport Aircraft, because it meets the CFR 1.1 definition.
Just one of the many areas where the FARs contradict themselves, Tom. Elsewhere, they define E-LSA and S-LSA as LSAs (obviously the J3 is neither), and then list characteristics of certified aircraft or E-ABs that would allow Sport Pilots to fly them, or higher rated pilots to fly them under Sport Pilot rules -- but specifically avoid calling them LSAs. This is why Ron Wagner of EAA coined the term "Sport Pilot eligible aircraft."
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
busted

Post by busted »

Well I'm going to Goshen Ind and get some dual in their Aeroteck tail dragger, tha'ts a SLSA. Spins prohibited.
Yep, I got my CFI card (expired) that alone should be prove I did it. I wouldn't even mind doing some more if I didn't have to go a couple hundred miles to do it.
Last edited by busted on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote:The ONLY way to fly LSA without a medical is if your medical has expired or you never had one.
True fact. Here's a hypothetical example:

An ATP with a recent First Class medical certificate has a disqualifying surgery. He or she is still an ATP, and still has a First Class medical, but because the medical is essentially void, can no longer exercise ATP privileges. Note that the medical has not been withdrawn, denied, or revoked (because FAA doesn't know about the surgery, and will not, unless that ATP applies for medical certificate renewal). So, this ATP decides to exercise Sport Pilot privileges, in an LSA or Sport Pilot eligible aircraft. He or she may even opt to take some transition training, so as to be safe in that LSA. So far, so good.

The Sword of Damacles is still hanging over this pilot's head, because if the FAA decides to revoke his or her medical before it expires, those Sport Pilot privileges are void. After six months, one would think the First Class medical certificate will have expired, and the pilot can continue exercising SP privileges with no further fear of the FAA. But it's not that simple. After those six months elapse, the First Class medical automatically reverts to a Second Class, so the pilot is still under the FAA's thumb.

OK, so after another six months have elapsed, doesn't that Second Class medical expire? No, it just reverts to a Third Class medical, which is still valid for another year (or more, depending upon the pilot's age). So, this pilot still lives in fear that the FAA may come along and revoke his or her medical, voiding all SP privileges.

Only after the medical has reverted to Second Class, then Third class, and then truly expired, can the pilot breathe a sigh of relief, knowing his or her Sport Pilot privileges are safe. (Of course, the pilot still needs to be medically fit to fly, must maintain a current State issued Driver's License, and must self-assess before every flight, just as one would preflight an aircraft before every flight.)

And, BTW, this pilot is still an ATP, not a Sport Pilot! :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US