sport CFI requirements/ airplane

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

FlyingForFun

Re: sport CFI requirements/ airplane

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote:Any sport pilot can get an LSA ticket if they do a checkride for LSA BEFORE they lose their medical...
Wow, that's 'not even wrong'! It does sound like you are continuing to advise that higher certificate holders have to do a checkride for a sport pilot certificate or for sport pilot privileges.

A higher level certificate does not need a check-ride or a sport pilot certificate, he already possess the privileges of a sport pilot and simply remains a private pilot or commercial pilot or atp.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Your language is to imprecise to follow.

Any sport pilot can get an LSA ticket if they do a checkride for LSA BEFORE they lose their medical... ??????????

1) There is no such thing as an LSA ticket, have to assume you mean sport pilot certificate?
2) If this sport pilot has a medical to loose then he is not a sport pilot at all he is a higher level certificate holder like a commercial pilot, or a private pilot
3) In all cases a pilot cannot fly if he loses his medical so whatever your statement means its wrong.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Any sport pilot can get an LSA ticket if they do a checkride for LSA BEFORE they lose their medical...
I think I know what he means by this, though the terminology is a bit confusing. I believe the statement implies that a person (non-pilot) can take a checkride for, and earn, a Sport Pilot certificate as long as he or she has not had a medical certificate revoked, withdrawn, or denied. This is s true statement.

Now, it is entirely possible for a Sport Pilot to have a medical certificate. The FARs do not prohibit a Sport Pilot from having a medical, they just don't require it. Say someone started out as a student pilot, originally planning to go for a PP certificate, took (and passed) an FAA medical, and then decided to go for the SP certificate instead of the Private. I've had such students, and they ended up as Sport Pilots who just happened to have a medical certificate. No problem there, except that now if the medical certificate gets revoked for any reason, the licensed SP loses his or her flying privileges. :cry:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:the J3 Cub is a Light Sport Aircraft, because it meets the CFR 1.1 definition.
Just one of the many areas where the FARs contradict themselves, Tom. Elsewhere, they define E-LSA and S-LSA as LSAs (obviously the J3 is neither), and then list characteristics of certified aircraft or E-ABs that would allow Sport Pilots to fly them, or higher rated pilots to fly them under Sport Pilot rules -- but specifically avoid calling them LSAs. This is why Ron Wagner of EAA coined the term "Sport Pilot eligible aircraft."
Paul, I have spent quite a bit of time looking, and there is no contradiction in the reugulations that I can find. They regulations don't define S-LSA and E-LSA, they just list the requirements a Light Sport Aircraft must meet to get an airworthiness certificate. The regulations to look at are CFR 21.190 and 21.191.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I don't think you'll find S-LSA and E-LSA in the FARs, Tom. You'll find them referenced (indirectly) in the FAA Order that governs how FSDOs or DARs issue Airworthiness Certificates. The Order incorporates the ASTM F-37 standards by reference, and I believe that's where the distinction is made.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:I don't think you'll find S-LSA and E-LSA in the FARs, Tom. You'll find them referenced (indirectly) in the FAA Order that governs how FSDOs or DARs issue Airworthiness Certificates. The Order incorporates the ASTM F-37 standards by reference, and I believe that's where the distinction is made.
S-LSA and E-LSA have to deal dirrectly with how the airworthiness certificate is issued and not the fact that they are an LSA. The number one requirement is they must be a Light Sport Aircraft under the CFR 1.1 definition. The fact that the Cub, Taylorcraft, and others meet the definition is what makes them LSA's, just like any aircraft with more than one engine is a multi engine aircraft.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I see where we're getting bogged down here. The term LSA is used in two different ways in the regs. LSA is both a defined acronym, and an airworthiness certificate category. A certified aircraft may meet the definition, but cannot be in the category.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FlyingForFun wrote:A J3 is not an LSA, but a Sport Pilot can fly one. When the J3 was certified, LSA's did not exist.
Just because the aircraft was built before the difinition was coined does not mean it is not a LSA.