Seeking an apprentice

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Seeking an apprentice

Post by drseti »

Regular participants on this forum will be aware that I've devoted the past four years to developing a modestly successful flight school, specializing in LSA and the Sport Pilot rating. I happen to believe this initiative represents the future of general aviation, and have embraced it quite enthusiastically. Up until now, I've kept the operation small, so I can concentrate on developing new curriculum and assessing its effectiveness.

At age 67, I realize my flying years are mostly behind, not ahead of me. I will eventually want to retire (again, for the fourth time!) but hate to think all this effort was wasted. Rather than simply shut down my school in a few years, I wish I had someone to turn it over to. Someone who shares my vision for a GA renaissance facilitated by the LSA initiative, as well as sharing my teaching style and level of commitment. As every CEO knows, a suitable successor is hard to find, unless you groom and train him or her yourself.

Which brings me to the point of this post. I am ready to interview for an apprentice, ideally a young person who shares my twin passions of teaching and flying, who wants to work with me for a few years learning everything I've picked up in over 50 years of flying and 40 years of teaching, someone who's always wanted to run his or her own flight school, who wants to learn the business end of running a business, and who would like to acquire an established and successful one some day.

I'm not particularly interested in training a bunch of folks who simply want to start their own businesses. I'm specifically looking for an heir, a successor. I seek someone with as much commitment as I have. As such, I will employ some rather unconventional techniques in screening candidates, as I would rather close my school outright than have it morph away from my personal educational vision and business model. I'll admit I'm an idealist. So would I expect my successor to be.

Anyone interested, please email or PM me. Feel free to share this post with other potential candidates. This will not happen quickly, but like estate planning, should not be put off indefinitely.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RyanShort1

Re: Seeking an apprentice

Post by RyanShort1 »

I'm assuming that the potential candidate should be willing to move to your location?

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well, yes, Ryan. That's probably easier than moving my airport. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

Yoda, I would love to take you up on becoming a Jeti. But at this time in my life the force isn’t aligned.

Paul a short high-jack of your thread – are you going to SnF?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sadly no, David. Starting a new academic term on 1 April, and up to my wingtips with new students.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

I understand - glad it is a low wing, Still plan on getting up there soon.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Paul, you are off on yet another grand quest...and I wish you the very best in your search.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks, Jack. Any chance your son would want to run a flight school when he gets out of the Navy?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

How is your quest for a successor going?

My own journey to become a CFI was rudely interrupted by needing eye surgery last year - and of course, health insurance being what it is, refused to pay. Had to spend all my money set aside for the Commercial and CFI on my eyes instead. The upside is I can see better than I have ever been able to before in my life ( I used to be terribly shortsighted). I started the CFI thing when I discovered you could do that with only a Class 3 medical. Now I can probably even get a Classs2 with a SODA (left eye is maybe 20/25, just outside the limits - but right is better than20/15!), not that I need it.

You should re-locate your school to warmer climates - CA or FL!
"Someone already thought of that."
drseti

Post by drseti »

Aerco wrote:How is your quest for a successor going?
No nibbles yet. That may be because the next generation doesn't believe in the apprenticeship model. They mostly want to start at the top and work their way up from there. (Damn, I'm starting to sound like an old fart! :( )
My own journey to become a CFI was rudely interrupted by needing eye surgery last year
Sorry to hear that. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Now I can probably even get a Classs2 with a SODA
As a general rule, you should never go for a medical certificate level higher than the minimum required for what you want to do. Any denial can cost you your SP privileges.
You should re-locate your school to warmer climates - CA or FL!
Unfortunately, though I could (and may well) relocate myself to warmer climes, relocating an established business is not a viable option. The greatest marketable value of the school is the investment involved in establishing it in a given locale. The hangar and office lease, goodwill with the local community leadership, reputation of the school, and value of four years of extensive local advertising and favorable press coverage are not exactly portable. Plus, the advantage of being the only Sport Pilot training facility and LSA rental FBO within 100 miles would vaporize in places like FL and CA, where there are competing flight schools on every corner. :(. Right now, I'm attracting students from NY and NJ. How likely is it they'd drive to FL or CA just to fly with me? :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

You should look for a homeschool student interested... many of them (me included) still believe in the apprenticeship methods...

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

If only I were 25 years younger... sounds like a great opportunity.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hey, if I were only 25 years younger, I'd take me up on it!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Paul,

I'd love to take you up on that offer, except for:

- Young kids that insist on eating regularly and seem to prefer a solid roof overhead
- An upside down mortgage in a (distant) DC suburb
- Assortment of debt obligations that like to be serviced with annoying regularity

My wife works from home so she's not tied to an office. I commute in to DC every day, which takes about 4 hours all together, on top of the 8 hours of work, which means I have very little time with my two sons (11 and almost 3), and practically no time whatsoever to do selfish things, like go flying. So, short of saying that I'm sort of trapped in this wholly unsatisfactory rat hole that I've dug myself into, I'll just say that it doesn't look like current circumstances allow me to take advantage of this intriguing opportunity.

Other than that...

Bruce
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Bruce, it's funny how life keeps getting in the way of one's passions. :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US