flight school annual report

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: flight school annual report

Postby drseti » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Helen wrote:About how many mx hours are you seeing per flight hour required? And what age is the airframe you are basing that on?

Here's a worst-case answer, Helen, involving a 5 year old aircraft that I purchased at a very favorable price, knowing it was coming due for some very time-consuming maintenance (including a Rotax 5 year rubber replacement, new brakes, tires, landing gear work, etc.) In a five month period, that plane flew a mere 89.2 hours, during which it underwent considerable downtime totaling 107.5 person-hours of maintenance. That plane brought in $10,204 in revenue, but consumed $9,138 in expenses. Believe me, that's no way to make a living!

Generally, I expect to put in 15 to 20 hours of work per 100 hours flown. But then, as mechanics go, I'm slow!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof. H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC, iRMT
AvSport of Lock Haven
fly@AvSport.org
http://AvSport.org
http://facebook.com/SportFlying

SportPilot

Postby SportPilot » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMorden

Postby MrMorden » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:57 pm

I generally assume I'm going to have an hour of maintenance for every 10 hours of flying. Sometimes I have gone 40+ hours with no squawks, but there have been other times where I have not been able to get 5 hours in between some small maintenance items required.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

Return to “Instructors' Corner”