POH in aircraft

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

bryancobb

I have Learned

Post by bryancobb »

Helen,

You have educated me.

I was of the old school where O.A.R. fulfilled the requirements or
A.R.R.O.W. for a more comprehensive breakdown.

I was not aware LSA had a different set. Is that from the ASTM publication?
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
Helen

Post by Helen »

Yes. Also included in Rod's new text.

Just remember, the POH is NOT the main set of operating limitation on an SLSA. SLSAs are more like homebuilts in this regard than certified planes. The primary operating limitations consist of a stack of about 3 papers, the last of which is signed by a DAR. (We put ours in a protective sleeve and then in the back of the binder with the POH.) I've seen more than my fair share of illegally flying SLSAs due to this misunderstanding.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
wingsaircharter

Post by wingsaircharter »

At the delivery of a new Skycatcher Cessna will tell you that the POH is not required to be in the aircraft, only the factory checklist since the Skycatcher is certified under different rules than the FAA.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Helen,

First I've heard about the requirement for the Flight Training Supplement to be carried.

Where exactly does it say that?

For information, I do have both that and the POH for my Sky Arrow as PDF files in my iPad, which I now carry on all flights.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

I had a 1947 aeronca chief and was wondering why it did not have a poh in it. After doing some checking I had found out the chief did not have a poh for it and therefore did not require carrying one.
"Keep on Draggin"
drseti

Post by drseti »

I never had a Chief, Flyboy, but I do recall that the 1946 Champ had a very thin "Approved Flight Manual." No POH, though. I assume those didn't come along for certified aircraft until later.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

flyboy2007 wrote:I had a 1947 aeronca chief and was wondering why it did not have a poh in it. After doing some checking I had found out the chief did not have a poh for it and therefore did not require carrying one.
They were delivered with operating limitations. This was a single peice of paper, and I think it was a CAA form. This should have been kept in the airplane.