SP CFI question/150hr req

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

High Altitude

SP CFI question/150hr req

Post by High Altitude »

Do pilot training hours (to acquire your SP/PP license) count towards the 150hr requirement?
High Altitude

Post by High Altitude »

Subpart K, 61.411 What aeronautical experience must I have to apply for a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating?

Shows a table and says you must log "150 hours of flight time as a pilot" then gives a break down of the type of flight time to be included within the 150 hours.

I looked in 1.1 Definitions and Abbreviations and there is no listing for "Pilot".

Can anyone here help me out? Does time logged as a student pilot qualify towards the 150 hour requirement?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Yes, the training hours count. If they did not it would say 150 hours after receiving your pilot certificate.
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

The 150 hour breakdown is this:

(i) 100 hours of flight time as pilot in command in powered aircraft,
(ii) 50 hours of flight time in a single-engine airplane,
(iii) 25 hours of cross-country flight time,
(iv) 10 hours of cross-country flight time in a single-engine airplane, and
(v) 15 hours of flight time as pilot in command in a single-engine airplane that is a light-sport aircraft.

So as I see it the ii iii iv time can be DUAL (training time)

the i and v time must be Pilot in Command time... Your solo time in training is Pilot in Command time right!! and of course time you are Pilot in Command after licensed too..

Doing the math it seems that 100 hours must be Pilot In Command time and 50 hours may be dual time (training) that is logged as long as the other miminums in ii iii iv are met.

Thats the way I see it.... Any other opinions???

Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!