Instructor/student contract

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Instructor/student contract

Post by Hambone »

Here's a hypothetical scenario.

I have a 55 year old male student. Despite 40+ hours of instruction, I finally come to the conclusion that, despite my superior instruction(!), he will never be completely safe, nor will he be able to pass a checkride. This has been confirmed by a fellow instructor.

Now what do I do? He has probably paid $5,000+ by this stage.

Can this situation be covered by a contract before training starts?

Are some instructors screening potential students before enrolling them in a course of training?

Thanks!
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

I don't know, but due to a recent enlightenment, I'm personally looking strongly at some sort of agreement before training begins...

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I never worried about a contract. I always told them up front that when they go their license was not set in stone. If I got to the normal solo time and the student was not up to speed, I'd have another instructor fly with him. If I didn't want to take him further or thought he wouldn't make it, I'd tell him then. Frequent status reports and open communication should handle it, I'd think. Uncomfortable, no doubt.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
tu16

Post by tu16 »

On my first lesson I talked to my CFI and asked him to tell me upfront and honestly if at some point in the training he decides I'm not going to cut it. Considering some potential for conflict of interest for the school I think I was actually asking for a favor.

I'd think many students should feel the same and be open to the idea that a certificate is not a guaranteed outcome, especially for "not-spring-chickens-anymore" and actually would appreciate your honest feedback. (At least people with European background should... :) )

Nothing prevents him from keeping trying - and enjoying dual flights well into 120hrs :) if expectations are set correctly. (If my theory is correct he may actually succeed in flying consistently and safely by 120th hr.... :) )
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

Here's another situation, I'm 55yo and I have 60 hrs and have soloed 4 different aircraft this time around and have met all requirements except checkride signoff. When might I expect the flight school to stepup and say(I have brought this up, as in we need to work on this) I schedule and there are always issues, 2 different schools and too many instructors to count. See my post under training. I think I am 1 you lost.
bshort

Post by bshort »

Deleted
Last edited by bshort on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

[quote="bshort"]I think the issue here could be those schools, FBO's, CFI's that KNOW the student is not up to snuff, but continue to milk the student for every last training dol

As I said I have soloed 4 different aircraft in the last 18 months, But I won't finish because that isn't what it's about. Most of the instructors I've flown with could fly with you in the am and if you come back in the afternoon they would ask what you want to work on.
bshort

Post by bshort »

Deleted