Way's to get involved in light sport instruction

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

KSCessnaDriver

Way's to get involved in light sport instruction

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

So, since I'm quickly approaching the CFI checkride, I've started looking out there for way's to become employed with that certificate. I really have a passion to teach in the low/slow stuff, like an LSA. My only problem is, there doesn't seem to be any of that sort of instruction going on around the Daytona Beach area. There is one school with a CTSW somewhat close, but beyond that, there are no LSA's out there.

Is it at all possible to think about a flight school for LSA's, or would I be better off just trying to find a job instructing somewhere, regardless of what type of plane it is.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
bryancobb

Throwing Tomatos At Me

Post by bryancobb »

I'm just sitting tight for right now...
...I know I'll get flamed for saying this but my humble opinion is that when the 162 lands in numbers, it will "hit the beach running" and Sport CFI's will be busy.

I'm guessing that there will be hundreds for rent all over trhe US in a few years.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Perhaps. I know two local schools here who say they have them on order, but both are saying that they won't take delivery for a few years. So, who knows if/when they will ever get an LSA.

I'd really love to start some sort of school, but at this point in my life, I don't have the capital required to do so.
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

What are the start up and monthly costs involved in starting a school?

What is the profitability like? Just thinking in numbers, to make 100k gross at 5k per student it is 20 students a year, however how much of that would go into insurance, aircraft parking, maintenance, fuel, paperwork, testing fees, etc.

Is this a viable business or just for those who have low living costs and/or are employed otherwise, or semi-retired?

Why wait for a Cessna. Is it the brand recognition?
bryancobb

Circles

Post by bryancobb »

The Sport Pilot has been kind of like a bird with a broken wing, kind of flopping around on the ground, going in circles.
When the 162 or a Piper SLSA hits the FBO's in large numbers, the flopping bird's wing will heal at there will be Sport Pilot students starting training in large numbers.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

pjcampbell wrote:What are the start up and monthly costs involved in starting a school?
Lots. It probably varies between airplanes, but I personally think it would be crazy to start out with anything less than 6 figures, as a rough guess. Even that is going to leave very little operating cash, if you purchase an airplane.
What is the profitability like? Just thinking in numbers, to make 100k gross at 5k per student it is 20 students a year, however how much of that would go into insurance, aircraft parking, maintenance, fuel, paperwork, testing fees, etc.
No clue. It really depends on how you set things up, from what I've seen. Of course, no one really wants to tell people how they do things exactly, for fear of giving away secrets, which I can respect.
Is this a viable business or just for those who have low living costs and/or are employed otherwise, or semi-retired?
Probably best answered by a financial planner/CPA.
I wouldn't. Its a niche plane, for those who want to fly LSA's, but not bad enough to venture outside of the Cessna world. The 162 has an abysmal useful load, and has a bad reputation to go with it (debatable if that's fair or not). I'd rather have a Jabiru, Remos, Flight Design, Piper, Gobosh, really anyone before a 162.
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

If you can get a leaseback you'll only need about $20k to start. We did it with less....of course you're the last one to get paid if there is any money left so don't plan on taking a pay check until the business is cashflow positive.

pjcampbell wrote:What are the start up and monthly costs involved in starting a school?

Adam

CFI-SP, Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance, Rotax Cert.
Orlando, FL