Sport pilot CFI

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

mhaleem

Sport pilot CFI

Post by mhaleem »

Can someone give me their opinion. Is there any worth to obtaining a sport pilot cfi rating if I plan on obtaining my commercial/cfi. There are two flight schools in my area with sport planes; one school flies the alegro and the other remos. Neither school offers guarantees on hiring a sport cfi should I obtain my rating with them. Thanks
Tuskegee U Alum
drseti

Post by drseti »

Purely my opinion, but since you asked:

If you're planning to go for the Comml/CFI anyway, there's really only one reason to pick up the CFI-SP first. That would be if you plan to instruct in SLAs to help pay your way toward the higher ratings. If you can afford to go for the Comml/CFI without needing CFI-SP income, then you should do so.

Even though the CFI-SP is an entirely respectable rating, most flight schools (including mine) prefer to hire Comml/CFIs. This is because a student's dual instruction toward the Sport Pilot rating can be applied toward higher ratings only if the instruction was given by a CFI. Instruction given by a CFI-SP counts toward the sport pilot rating only.

Whichever way you go, I'm sure you're going to enjoy instructing in LSAs.

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US